Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 26, 2022
Is there a way to store my work environment along with all the files (and preferably where they were on the screen) so that I can easily open say, 'WorkCustomer-1' and everything that was open is retrieved and I can pick up where I left off. Ideally there would be no limit to the number of projects that are saved. I am not looking for 'Hibernate' as that only stores one state. I have also considered Virtual environments but that is rather resource intensive since it packages the OS with the environment which is not necessary for the requested functionality.

I have several projects going in parallel and it would be great to switch between them rather than having a zillion unorganized apps running at one time.

Solution
Thank you . This looks promising. It doesn't share certain apps such as Excel across desktops, (Excel does not allow multiple instances), Word, FF, Chrome, Notepad (pretty much anything other than Excel) are fine.

Another note. For everyone that keeps defaulting to replying with 'Use Hibernate', please note that this is not what we are talking about:)
Excel absolutely allows Multiple workbooks open.
Or at least, v2019 does.

3 different Excel workbooks, on 3 different monitors.
Uiv9Qwx.jpg

Etrius vanRandr

Prominent
BANNED
May 11, 2022
I have several projects going in parallel and it would be great to switch between them rather than having a zillion unorganized apps running at one time.

Ideally a virtual machine can do this, but you are correct that this is too resource intensive.

Windows 10 and 11 have workspaces that are saved during hibernation - virtual displays.

Etrius vanRandr

Prominent
BANNED
May 11, 2022
2 options:

1. Hibernation
  2. Simply don't turn it off. An idling system doesn't use a lot of resources or power.
With either option, or something else altogether, a good backup routine is critical.

I don't think you're quite understanding what the op is asking.

They typically have a lot of windows open which gets cluttered. They want to save a certain State and order of the programs and windows and then being able to switch between them at a moment's notice.

this in fact is the entire purpose of the multi desktop feature I mentioned in my first reply to this thread. In addition these multiple Desktop Windows can be saved with hibernation achieving exactly what the op wants.

in addition to all of this multi-monitor setup is a great solution to having too many windows open on a single screen. I personally have four screens hooked up to my desktop which really helps since I do a lot of work with multiple programs open at once such as blender, outfit studio, gamebryo creation kit, multiple Explorer windows, a music player, Photoshop, Paint.net, GIMP, and Chrome all at once.

Jul 26, 2022
Ideally a virtual machine can do this, but you are correct that this is too resource intensive.

Windows 10 and 11 have workspaces that are saved during hibernation - virtual displays.

Thank you . This looks promising. It doesn't share certain apps such as Excel across desktops, (Excel does not allow multiple instances), Word, FF, Chrome, Notepad (pretty much anything other than Excel) are fine.

Another note. For everyone that keeps defaulting to replying with 'Use Hibernate', please note that this is not what we are talking about:)

USAFRet

Illustrious

Excel absolutely allows Multiple workbooks open.
Or at least, v2019 does.

3 different Excel workbooks, on 3 different monitors.
Uiv9Qwx.jpg

Solution
Jul 26, 2022
I stand corrected. Excel 2007 did not create a new instance if you opened a new file from the ribbon 'File|Open'. That is you could not view different spreadsheets simultaneously. Apparently, they fixed this in 2019. I just discovered that you can open up multiple instances (2007) by right clicking on the icon in the taskbar.

You are correct. Excel 2019 will create multiple instances using either 'File|Open' or 'right click on Task bar'. Unfortunately, for some reason Excel 2019 does not allow you to use it in more than one virtual desktop. Opening a new instance will switch you to the desktop that already has it open.

Strangely Excel 2007 will allow use in more than one virtual desktops.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.