Solved! Can you make this kind of save state on your computer?

dekw04

Prominent
Oct 6, 2017
Hi everyone.

Is it possible to make a save state of a computer that has open files, folders, and programs on it in such a way that you could shut down the computer completely and then, once you restarted it, open up said save state and continue exactly where you left off? All of the programs, folders, and files you had open before restarting would appear in the same state as they were before you shut down the computer.

Browsers do something like this; if I have 10 tabs open in a browser like Opera, restart my computer, and then reopen the browser, the browser will give me the option to "Restore" the tabs that had been open before my computer was shut down.

With that in mind, suppose I have several files, folders, and programs open on my computer, but I want to shut down my computer for some reason. Is there an alternative to manually reopening the files, folders, and programs that I had open before I shut down the computer? Like, maybe there's a computer program (or an option within Windows) that can 'remember' what files, folders, and programs had been open before the computer was shut down and what state they were in? The idea is that, after restarting the computer, I could just open up this save state and continue exactly where I left off.

For example, if I had had a video open before shutting down and it was at the 5 minute mark, I could restart the computer, open up this save state, and said video would open up and be at the 5 minute mark automatically.

My primary reason for asking this is that I have a laptop with a removable battery. Therefore, if I wanted to swap out a discharged battery with fully charged one it would require shutting down the laptop which would close any programs, folders, and files that had been open before shutting down. I would then have to manually open these files, folders, and programs after restarting (which is do-able of course, I just thought there might be a better way to do things).

However, if a save state like the kind I've described could be made before restarting, I could just open up this save state after restarting and continue exactly where I left off. This would have the potential to save a significant amount of time, be simpler, and just be more convenient in general than manually reopening whatever files/folders/programs had been open before restarting.

Is the kind of save state that I've described above possible somehow (e.g. with some kind of program or option within Windows, etc.)?

Thank you.

Solution

Hibernate will survive a battery change as the entire state of the machine is written to disc before shutdown. Neither sleep nor that hybrid abomination used for quick startup will survive such. Been there, done that.

ex_bubblehead

Distinguished

Hibernate will survive a battery change as the entire state of the machine is written to disc before shutdown. Neither sleep nor that hybrid abomination used for quick startup will survive such. Been there, done that.

Solution

USAFRet

Illustrious

Yeah, that's what I thought.
Up to him to test the full functionality.
"For example, if I had had a video open before shutting down and it was at the 5 minute mark, I could restart the computer, open up this save state, and said video would open up and be at the 5 minute mark automatically."