SB to IB CPU upgrade (Sager)

Hamerhaner

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
Hey all,

I'm needing to buy a new notebook rather quick as my old one crapped out. I was planning on upgrading once IB was released but this is no longer an option. So I am buying a new rig this week.

The rig I'm getting is a Sager 8170 with pretty much the basic peripherals.

My question is:

If I buy a Sager 8170 with a SB chip, can I later upgrade that to an IB chip? If so, which chip should I buy, ie, SB or SB-E? If I upgrade the processor, will this void the warranty? And finally, is the upgrade even worth it for day to day use, gaming, and movie editing?

Any and all responses would be appreciated.

perfectblue

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2011
What do you mean by 'chip'?

According to this article, the Q67 or Q65 chipsets cant support IB processors. So you cant upgrade that way.
The SB-E chipset has not arrived yet to notebook market. Even when it does, it wont support the IB processor anyway.

If you are looking to change the whole motherboard (chipset) of the laptop, then it will require some serious modification and generally not advisable. It is close to impossible to normal people like us.

Even if you wait till the IB chipset and get a laptop we still dont have conclusive data to say the worthiness of the gain.

Good luck!

Hamerhaner

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011

Thanks for the article. This is what I was afraid of. Oh well, the SB chip will have to do for the next 3-5 years.

TRENDING THREADS