Scary: Bill Grants President Control of Internet

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow703793

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
[citation][nom]dingumf[/nom]LOL you think you can control the internet.Maybe in North America but if that happens I'll move somewhere else[/citation]
Cerrection. Just in the USA. He can't do it in Canada! :p

G

they will not shut down the internet it would stop the world economy

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
[citation][nom]kami3k[/nom]Sad when right wingers that are trying to hide their racism are posting on a Tom's site. How do I know you are right winger? You can't think for yourself or look up something called "facts." I know using your brain is hard, but you should try it.[/citation]
Damn it, I am tired of people calling someone else who has ANY problem with the current president racist. Push past your own problems and open your eyes and peer at what the hell is going on here over the past several months. While you are at it, dig up these "facts" that seem to be lies to you. Even though you can find them in print should you choose to do so, you can continue to call them lies all you want for all I care. The size of government is entirely out of control and no one can stop it right now because of the monopoly the people voted for. We need a balance of power in the government, when it is tipped entirely one way in a filibuster-proof state, this is the kind of stuff we get! Enjoy it America, for at least the next year and a half when it will most likely shift back to neutral.

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
[citation][nom]nonxcarbonx[/nom]what's with these sensationalist headlines tom's hardware? I agree that the bill shouldn't pass, but the headline doesn't match reality.[/citation]
I agree. I only read it to laugh at the stupid comments made. Probably the same people who believe in "death panels."

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]dingumf[/nom]Yea Tom's hardware is very late at news[/citation]

Thing is though, this was on this very same site that day.

xaira

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
im sure that bill only refers to a situation where cyber terrorism is taking place like a firesale etc. Its deathpanels all over again!!!

G

Very funny indeed for a country so technology illiterate they can not even figure out how to get the CIA and FBI databases to communicate.
Please do not worry in the least.

chaohsiangchen

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
[citation][nom]i hate tutus[/nom]they will not shut down the internet it would stop the world economy[/citation]

The owner of the US already did without the need to shutting down the Internet.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
I won't formulate an opinion based on a three paragraph story, and I know that like 99% of you, I will not read the bill....but man this is scary only because we all know it will not be implement properly and it will be a disaster for some time. Surely we all remember the terrorist threat alerts? What a farce...

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
[citation][nom]Maxor127[/nom]I agree. I only read it to laugh at the stupid comments made. Probably the same people who believe in "death panels."[/citation]
You're right, it's a board of appointed officials that vote on what and who the budget allocates money towards.

Raidur

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
What the hell is the point of this? I can see it as extra protection for some military servers or something... but don't we all (including military) have a 'kill switch'? Some of us know it as unplugging the ethernet cable... Sounds extremely unneeded to me.

I want to hear a scenario where this would be the only solution, or if this would even solve anything. Good luck finding one, and if you ask me, this wouldn't solve anything at all, just slow it down.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]ravenware[/nom]Sad when the people fall into a false left right paradigm and then call any rational objections towards a policy an act of racism; effectively side stepping a real issue and inserting a false one, causing division and turmoil instead of paying attention.Read the bill yourself. I read it almost 5 months ago and this was in the bill, I believe it was on page 53 or 54.Yeah I voted for Obama too (as did the majority of the voting public) but I am not going buy into his sh** because he is a Democrat. The man has shown that he is a liar and can not be trusted.[/citation]

No what was in the bill was the power to shut off the networks of financial and government networks. You are just a lying. You clearly didn't read the bill. Fail.

G

alright, pump up ur citizens with these radical ideas and we'll see what happens. YOU GET THE COUNTRY YOU DESERVE. people outside USA dont give a damn anyway. when the world economy shifts to ASIA (and it's slowly moving)USA will be like a spoiled brat who denied to bully another country. you guys just cant live without senseless hatred and fear. pathethic.

G

Yeah, it's not scary that the president can shut down anything he likes, and claim it was because of a threat. Yeah, all the libs were screaming about how they lost so much freedom due to the Patriot Act, yet they can't tell you a single one, not one, nada, zip, zilch of what freedoms they lost.
But it's okey-dokey if Dems pass a bill to grant Obama the power to do this. Hmmm, not like he'd apoint a diversity officer to the FCC, who would create a tax that would require, at his political discretion, 100% of any company , corporation, or entities budget be sent to NPR or local broadcasters. Because any company can of course to double it's expenses, and stay in business. Nooooo sirreee bob, Obama wouldn't ever do that. Never. Never ever. And he certainly wouldn't be a far-left Obama contributor. Nope. No way. And of course Obama could be trusted with the power of this bill NOT to shut down blogs, news agencies, certain states, et al. Of course he could. Cause he always tells the truth. Always. Every time. Except when he speaks...and writes...and remembers, then speaks that he forgot...and speaks again. Yeah, you can trust Stranger (to truth) and Doped. He's almost not H*tler yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.