Scepter TV has gone insane

rmlisak

Commendable
May 20, 2016
I have a 55" Scepter E555. Purchased 6 months ago and has been used less than a dozen times. Last night I decided to move it to another room so it would be used more. The move was literally through 1 door to a table 10 feet away. Was not dropped or banged in any way. When I turn it on now, it acts like the volume up button is held down... Using the remote, it goes to 99 then back to 100. Menu button brings up menu then scrolls rapidly through the menu. On the tv, both volume buttons power the tv off.

It does this even with the batteries out of the remote, so it's not a stuck button. I have unplugged the tv overnight but it didn't reset.

Any clues? Last use was a few weeks ago and it was fine.

Solution
thanks.

if you're comfortable opening up the tv it could be a bad connection to the menu buttons. you may be able to re-seat the buttons attachment to the main board.

though scepter has been known for low quality products. it could be a more complicated problem.
if you bought it new; contact them(scepter) and see if they have a local shop that will fix it under warranty. samsung & lg will send a local contracted repairman to your house to fix problems like this if still covered, maybe scepter offers something like this.

rmlisak

Commendable
May 20, 2016

Hi, and thank you for responding. Love your name btw, huge Sep fan here.

The TV has from bottom to top... Power, menu, ch dn, ch up, vol dn, vol up. Power works, menu doesnt, channels dont, and both volume buttons power the tv off.

Also... Input selector on remote works and I got cable and BluRay fine. Great picture and sound, but menus and volume are on permanent +

JohnBonhamsGhost

Estimable
Jan 14, 2016
thanks.

if you're comfortable opening up the tv it could be a bad connection to the menu buttons. you may be able to re-seat the buttons attachment to the main board.

though scepter has been known for low quality products. it could be a more complicated problem.
if you bought it new; contact them(scepter) and see if they have a local shop that will fix it under warranty. samsung & lg will send a local contracted repairman to your house to fix problems like this if still covered, maybe scepter offers something like this.

Solution

junkeymonkey

Honorable
Nov 11, 2013
''scepter has been known for low quality products'' you maybe surprised on how many of your high quality products have there parts in them there the 3ed supplier of oem displays . your high end monitor could have a secptor display in it

I would ''tap'' the sets and the remotes buttons to see if its not got stuck some how [ channel / menu / ect..] like some one grabbed it up and mashed it in too hard when you made the move ??? just seems like one of them is or got stuck to wide open or what ever try them all

I got a X325BV-FMDR of theres and got to say its been good so far for over a year of use and I move it around for tv and pc use [mostly pc use]

I'm on it now -

anyway try all the common used buttons on set and see if by chance it not one of them stuck outside the volume

JohnBonhamsGhost

Estimable
Jan 14, 2016
"It does this even with the batteries out of the remote, so it's not a stuck button"
"The TV has from bottom to top...Power works, menu doesnt, channels dont, and both volume buttons power the tv off."

could hope it's something as simple as a stuck button but all buttons appear to have been "tapped" already. maybe one is stuck though and could be pried back into place.
had that type of issue recently with a xbox360 gamepad, button appeared to be fine but was catching on the side and staying actuated.

i went through 2x 24" scepter displays and both screens failed within the first year. also still see more negative than positive reviews for most of their monitors. there's always a chance to catch a good one though. i still have an olevia that's 8 years old and runs & looks great but ~90% of the reviews for that particular model show either DOA or failed soon after purchase.