School Makes iTouch/iPhone Compulsory

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Ehmm may I ask why can't they use normal netbooks,laptops, PCs but Iphone or Ipod.

All students today have a PC or a mac to their course papers and this is just ridiculous.

Of course this will be used by those on financial aid at least to get their hands on the Iphones and Ipod touch and also Steve is problably laughing hard at this.

Time to buy some Apple stock guys because if other universities adopt this, profits for Apple are definitely going up.

gwellin

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
How was I able to ever get through school without an iPod? This is so lame. A mojority of students are lazy and will normally drop out if they don't pay attention in class. So lets give them an iPhone because I'm sure nobody will play games, text, email or browse the internet during class.

"There's been some research done that shows if a student can hear that lecture a second time, they retain three times as much of that lecture."

What are they going to hear it a second time on there iPod while riding the bus or sitting in there dorm. I though because of the interent this is already possible. I know it was in my school. I bet they will still have to purchase the $130.00 text book as well. Good job at keeping the cost of school down idiots.

apache_lives

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2002
i think its more ipod lessons and less "teacher" lessons etc

after highschool its the "young adult"'s responsibility to learn, it they pay some massive fee for a course they drop out in then thats up to them, i say this is a great idea.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
"University offers students financial aid"
That means tax payer money, these Universities are a bunche of leaches and if they had their way you would need a degree to cook a burger at a fast food restaurant. OJT, on the job training and technical schooling is the best. All these States, like mine, Ohio have the lottery. It's for public schools and the "children", we were told. Lies, sure a little gets funneled that way but it goes everywhere else too, including universities that should not be getting tax payer money in the first place! Did my property taxes go down like promised, hell no, just the freaking opposite, damn Democrats anyway.
The old style 2-4-6-8-? year degree for the most part is a pile crap for a sheepskin of crap.

hobbitcy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
I am personally in favor of digital distribution of uni work.
I'm in my 3rd year and most lecturers have there class presentations online for us to read again.
if i had the lecture online as well that would be great.
not a fan of the apple though but great explanation why they have it set up like that

G

Most excellent.... the people who actually retain stuff on the 1st pass are usually the less bright ones because of the trade off they get in their memory retention. They are good a regurgitating but not at making broad associations and analysis of the implications of the information they are receiving.

In short, rewarding less drones and enabling more of the creative class is always a good thing.

gwellin

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
[citation][nom]HobbitCy[/nom]I'm in my 3rd year and most lecturers have there class presentations online for us to read again.if i had the lecture online as well that would be great.[/citation]

Because the PC, latptop, netbook, library isn't possible to view that stuff already. Admit it, you're a poor college student and just want a free iPhone.

spizade

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
The Chevy Silverado is now required for Journalism 101.

If we are ripping off financial aid, lets go big and fix another issue at the same time instead of requiring toys.

smlong

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2006
On top of ripping off financial aid, they're wasting it on crappy Apple products.

Students already get discounts on computer equipment and such. For the price of a iPhone, they could get a Netbook. They could do practically anything they need to do with a Netbook. If my children were in college already, I would give them a Netbook or a small laptop and thumb my nose at the university.

When I got my BSEE, I was only required to have a graphing calculator. It's funny to see these universities flounder with their bad ideas now.

G

their FAQ is one of the most laugh out loud things i have read in months. Thanks for making my day :)

smlong

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2006
Did anyone actually follow the link to the university's site? It's total misinformation and BS. Here's a snippet:

Q. What if I prefer a Windows-based machine?
A. That's an option, but it's one we do not recommend unless you plan to make a career of computer-assisted reporting. By the time you purchase photo, audio and video software for a PC, you probably will have spent more than you would if buying a comparable Apple Computer. Buy a PC if you prefer to do so, but make sure it is wireless and has Microsoft Office. Almost 100 percent of last year's freshmen chose Apple computers.

G

...I wish I was in school now, just to see what I'd get from Sexual Education degrees :3

rags_20

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
I'd sure like to be a student there. If you prefer a Windows-based device, do ahead. They just don't give you aids for that.

smlong

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2006
Well, I sent them an email if anyone cares to read it..

--

Why are you providing complete misinformation to your students like this?

Q. What if I prefer a Windows-based machine?
A. That's an option, but it's one we do not recommend unless you plan to make a career of computer-assisted reporting. By the time you purchase photo, audio and video software for a PC, you probably will have spent more than you would if buying a comparable Apple Computer. Buy a PC if you prefer to do so, but make sure it is wireless and has Microsoft Office. Almost 100 percent of last year's freshmen chose Apple computers.

It's obvious you have a bias for Apple's products, but you could at least not lie to your students. A modicum of research would show anyone that Apple's products cost far too much. Even Consumer Reports just printed an article that showed that the average Apple computer is 2-3x as much as a comparable Windows based PC. Just as iLife is free on OSX, there are many more free alternatives on Windows. Do you really think the platform with the largest software library, bar-none, would be without comparable free alternatives? When the average price difference between an Apple PC and a Windows PC is ~ $1000, you can buy a LOT of extra software/hardware for the Windows based PC.

Also, your use of tax-payer money (IE financial aid) to provide your students with iPods/iPhones is reprehensible. For the purposes you suggest, any laptop or desktop PC would do the job just fine. Really, any internet-capable device would fit the bill.

--

the_one111

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
[citation][nom]smlong[/nom]Did anyone actually follow the link to the university's site? It's total misinformation and BS. Here's a snippet:Q. What if I prefer a Windows-based machine?A. That's an option, but it's one we do not recommend unless you plan to make a career of computer-assisted reporting. By the time you purchase photo, audio and video software for a PC, you probably will have spent more than you would if buying a comparable Apple Computer. Buy a PC if you prefer to do so, but make sure it is wireless and has Microsoft Office. Almost 100 percent of last year's freshmen chose Apple computers.[/citation]

Higher learning my ass.

G

Some people simply forgot what shame means, never mind common sense...

Status
Not open for further replies.