School Used Student Webcams to Spy on Them

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Not only is this guy a little weird for spying on this kid in the first place, he took a snapshot of the acclaimed "offense" and then BLATANTLY uses it against him in school. LOL! Wow, that guy has a set of balls on him.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]dawolf74[/nom]@lehighace06You are wrong.Completely.The option to stop someone from getting into the BIOS as well as password protect it has been in PCs for decades.You might want to learn a little bit more about PCs before you post something completely retarded about PCs on a tech forum.[/citation]Oh chill out.

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
Just an idea here. I wonder if these idiot of a school official uses one these laptops? I wonder what a little snap shot of him/her at home would do? I'll bet all of a sudden they will have a completely different outlook on the situation.

**Note** I hereby do not advocate or otherwise condone any said above stated action. It is merely a thought put forth for ones own thinking. Any actions real or imaginary coming from this is purely co-incidental :) :)

jrabbitb

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2006
[citation][nom]randydinkins[/nom]The laptop was and remains the school's property, not the student's. They have a right to monitor their property. The fact that this student was at home is a moot point.[/citation]

there are still laws requiring notification of how you are being monitored (especially remote videotaping), and it sounds like the school and it department are lying about the use of the remote camera feature.

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
[citation][nom]randydinkins[/nom]I think you are overreacting. The laptop was and remains the school's property, not the student's. They have a right to monitor their property. The fact that this student was at home is a moot point. GEt over it.[/citation]

Do some research on unlawful wiretap... they'd need a court order to be able to legally monitor those machines, ownership is not relevant.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Next time you hear the anti-privacy rights people going on about "Well, you shouldn't worry about it unless you're doing something illegal." or "Acting offended about having your privacy violated just makes you look guilty." Think about articles like this and about how it can be used to spy on your 14 year old kid as they get undressed to put on their PJs or go to take a shower and happen to have their PC on because they were checking their email 2 minutes ago. All it takes is one low-paid gov't stooge with access to this and suddenly he has an extra source of income selling your kids pics online.

surfer1337dude

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
[citation][nom]crazazyasian1337[/nom]http://www.lmsd.org/sections/news/ [...] no&id=1138a school response to all this[/citation]
I do not understand how they can only take a snap shot of the user, you would need to have the ability to record a video so that you could see when the user is there. Also if that is the case then they had no right to punish the student.

[citation][nom]demonhorde665[/nom]when iw as in high school i had the asshole student counselor tell my dad they needed to take away my conan comics and stephen king novels cause it was "warping" my brain... [/citation]

Seriously? Lol, my old high school would be happy that someone was actually reading anything. But yes, schools have this habit of trying to control the student 24/7 and this just isn't right.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
[citation][nom]crazazyasian1337[/nom]http://www.lmsd.org/sections/news/ [...] no&id=1138a school response to all this[/citation]
Typical BS response to an illegal activity. People need to be fired and some go to jail over this crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.