Scientist Builds Self-Filling Water Bottle

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

technogiant

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007
I suppose this could have real value for such things as long term space missions where they would need to recover water from from astronauts breath as well as urine and faeces to save having to ship so much of this heavy commodity in their payload....logical....but...eeeeewww!!

unempit

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
When farmers in the former dust bowl finish depleting the Ogallala Aquifer, this might come in handy...sarcasm...

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]JacekRing[/nom]GRRRRR...accidently posted before I finished, here is the rest starting at where I left off:Water has a tendency of attracting and sticking to minerals and vitamins. So drinking distilled water (or reverse osmosis water) will slowly deplete your body of vitamins and minerals. Over long periods this can cause a wide variety of illnesses and damage to your body.That aside, pretty cool. I can see bunker buddies (survival fanatics, doomsday preachers) stocking up on this.[/citation]

But you can replenish it with food. And dehydration is a bigger threat than malnutrition.

degree60

Honorable
May 16, 2012
this is not the same as boiling water, this is just collecting water from the air, which is the same water that forms rain\ falls into rivers ie. normal drinking water.

deksman

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
[citation][nom]JacekRing[/nom]GRRRRR...accidently posted before I finished, here is the rest starting at where I left off:Water has a tendency of attracting and sticking to minerals and vitamins. So drinking distilled water (or reverse osmosis water) will slowly deplete your body of vitamins and minerals. Over long periods this can cause a wide variety of illnesses and damage to your body.That aside, pretty cool. I can see bunker buddies (survival fanatics, doomsday preachers) stocking up on this.[/citation]

Actually, water contains about 1% to 3% of minerals (at most) Humans require.
Vast majority of nutrients/vitamins/minerals is received from food.

There is no scientifically credible basis for the premise that distilled water does harm to the body or will 'slowly depete the body of minerals and vitamins' in any capacity.
Actually, distilled water has a tendency to collect impurities that accumulate in the body and flushes it out of the system.

This self-filling water is usable for water deprived areas, though we already had the technology to extract water from the atmosphere since the 1940's.

The only reason we have a 'shortage' of anything is due to artifically imposed limitation known as 'purchasing power' and 'money' (though we have had ample supply of resources and technology to get rid of all or problems over 100 years ago).

degree60

Honorable
May 16, 2012
Not entirely accurate,there are plenty of scientific studies out there that show prolonged use of distilled water is bad for your health. It makes the body more acidic and actually leads to loss of calcium,magnesium and other trace elements.Many metals are dissolved by distilled water. It would be especially bad if someone was on a distilled water diet. In fact many pregnant women have a natural craving to eat crushed ice, as a result of mineral deficiencies in their diet.Bottom line is, natural water is healtheir than distilled water,so stick to the natural way where possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS