Scientists Create The First Artificial Leaf

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tomaz99

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
[citation][nom]sabot00[/nom]Do you know what burning is?Probably not, it's oxidation, what happens when you oxidize hydrogen?It forms a covalent bond with O in a ratio of 2 to 1.H2O, so basically, you put 1 mole of water in, you get 2 moles of H and 1 mole of O back, then you burn the H, it recombines with O, and you get 1 mole of water back PLUS heat energy from the burning.So basically the only thing that is really lost is Sunlight.[/citation]

Hey maaaan, stop waisting all the Sunlight...Do you know how much Sunlight those will consume! What about the piece of Earth below it that is now suffering from sunlight deprivation? The Earth below it will be cooler...therefore causing alternate climate patters; ultimately resulting in a Tsunami.

Clearly you have not thought this through :)

G

I think this is pretty cool. It makes sense for third world countries because many are nearer to the equator where they could take more advantage of the sunlight. Most "third world" places in the US are either in or near cities where direct sunlight is more often hampered by buildings and clouds or in or near the mountains where you have the same problem.
It would be cool if this technology could make a more fuel efficient cross country car. Hybrids were made for the cities where you're breaking often. This technology could be more useful for cars on the open road. Possibly.

secolliyn

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
If one can supply the power needs to one household in a third world country why cant you bundle say 100-1000 together put them around your house and there you have it if they are going to be cheap enough for people there to buy them we as Americans should be able to afford them ... that is unless they make the ones we buy 10X the price so other people in the 3erd world can buy them cheap

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
[citation][nom]TA152H[/nom]The only thing is, it's not clear if the water is reconstituted. If it is, no problem, but if it's lost, it's insanity.[/citation]
Yes, the water is "reconstituted" in the fuel cell. You get water back out of the fuel cell after it has produced electricity.

Everything you always wanted to know about fuel cells but were afraid to ask may be found here. ;)

Supertrek32

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
[citation][nom]TA152H[/nom]This sounds horrible.The basis for life is water. So, we want to consume it by the billions of gallons every day. Then, this house will have pure oxygen around, and pure hydrogen, which is volatile. Presumably, the hydrogen would escape at some point, and the Earth can not keep hydrogen atoms, so it would leave our planet, never to return. Something seems wrong. We're complaining about not enough drinkable water, and then we want to liberate from the earth the hydrogen contained in it. When you consider how many people live in this world, if you're pulling down hundreds of millions of gallons of water a day, you don't think there's going to be some climate change from all this loss of water over a period of time? The only thing is, it's not clear if the water is reconstituted. If it is, no problem, but if it's lost, it's insanity.[/citation]
Wow... just.... wow....

The entire basis of Hydrogen Fuel Cells is the combustion of Hydrogen. That means it's turned back into water. If there was a rupture in hydrogen containment, it will typically react with atmospheric oxygen (or other elements) before getting high enough to be lost to space. The little that does.... Oh well.

People obviously wouldn't want to lose the hydrogen since that's the energy. That means it's only really allowed to escape in accidents. Most of the hydrogen that escapes is retained by the planet. Combine the two and it means tens, if not hundreds of thousands of years before there's even a measurable change in ocean levels. Space programs (you know how those rocket engines work, don't you?) will eject more hydrogen into space than this ever will.

loomis86

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
I can't believe the utter fools commenting here.

If a small amount of hydrogen is leaked out of the containment vessel, it goes to the upper atmosphere and never comes back. Everytime that happens, you lose water forever. Multiply that small loss times billions of people all using hydrogen in a hydrogen economy and some day YOU WILL RUN OUT OF WATER ON PLANET EARTH.

Ramar

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmospheric_escape

The amount of "I'm smarter than being happy about things" on display here is ridiculous. STFU and do some basic, and by all means I mean BASIC reading and you'll understand that this isn't some magical doomsday plant that makes us lose hydrogen. Just because it's on the discovery channel to drum up ratings doesn't mean it's true.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]Ramar[/nom]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmospheric_escapeThe amount of "I'm smarter than being happy about things" on display here is ridiculous. STFU and do some basic, and by all means I mean BASIC reading and you'll understand that this isn't some magical doomsday plant that makes us lose hydrogen. Just because it's on the discovery channel to drum up ratings doesn't mean it's true.[/citation]

Your point isn't very clear. But, since you probably don't know much (the ranters rarely do), we do lose roughly 3 kilograms of hydrogen every second from Earth. If this type of unit releases a lot more pure hydrogen, and it causes higher water levels in the upper atmosphere, this could accelerate quickly. But, if it's intended to be a closed system, it's probably going to have a negligible effect. If it were an open system, where the hydrogen was allowed to escape, it would be disastrous over time.

tolham

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
[citation][nom]Thunderfox[/nom]So it only produces enough power to facilitate a third world lifestyle? Presumably you could make bigger ones for the rest of the world,[/citation]
or just get more than one.....

greenrider02

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2010
I am absolutely appalled at how some people here seem to be missing the fact that given a gallon of water, this device will make 1 gallon's worth of separate oxygen and hydrogen and the fuel cell will store energy by recombining them into... 1 gallon of water. There is no water lost, it is a closed system ideally. Just sunlight into energy, and I think that's brilliant

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]TA152H[/nom]This sounds horrible.The basis for life is water. So, we want to consume it by the billions of gallons every day. Then, this house will have pure oxygen around, and pure hydrogen, which is volatile. Presumably, the hydrogen would escape at some point, and the Earth can not keep hydrogen atoms, so it would leave our planet, never to return. Something seems wrong. We're complaining about not enough drinkable water, and then we want to liberate from the earth the hydrogen contained in it. When you consider how many people live in this world, if you're pulling down hundreds of millions of gallons of water a day, you don't think there's going to be some climate change from all this loss of water over a period of time? The only thing is, it's not clear if the water is reconstituted. If it is, no problem, but if it's lost, it's insanity.[/citation]
This just makes my head hurt. I'm convinced you're complaining just for the sake of complaining.

It's a danged fuel cell. We've been using them for decades and a basic 5 minute internet search would have taught you that. They're hardly anymore dangerous than any of the other energy sources you have pumped into your home already. And even if you were scared of a hydrogen explosion for some reason, you can always put it in a shed out back and transmit the electricity via wiring into your house (which is one of the handy things about electricity, you can transmit it on wires).

The water is disassociated into H2 and O2 in the 'leaf' and recombined in a fuel cell back into .... WATER. No water is lost. If you didn't recombine the H2 and O2 back into water, it wouldn't generate power. In fact, the water recreated in the fuel cell is potable solving your other worry over drinking water (e.g space shuttle fuel cell system).

Finally, even if we did 'lose' 100 million gallons of water a day through some unspecified Illuminati Reverse Vampire process it'd take us about billion years (based on the earth being 0.023% water by mass) for us to use all the water on the planet (at which point the sun will have made the planet unlivable anyway). If you're concerned about us running out of water after a billion years of use, I can't imagine how worried you are about running out of oil in a few hundred.

Ramar

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
[citation][nom]TA152H[/nom]Your point isn't very clear.[/citation] I'm sorry, what wasn't clear about Do Some Basic Reading And You'll Understand That Splitting Water Doesn't Make Hydrogen Disappear.

Please give me any source that claims the earth loses 3 kilograms of hydrogen a second.

Also, @greenrider02 Yeah, I didn't notice that until you mentioned, but it does say that pretty specifically in the article. Derr.

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
[citation][nom]Thunderfox[/nom]So it only produces enough power to facilitate a third world lifestyle? Presumably you could make bigger ones for the rest of the world, but the question about the whole thing is cost. For something new and technologically advanced, I imagine it's expensive.[/citation]
[citation][nom]RADIO_ACTIVE[/nom]"The artificial leaf shows particular promise as an inexpensive source of electricity for homes of the poor in developing countries."LOL this is just what we are going to see on a shack of a poor family LOL /sarcasm[/citation]
you guys need to think on a larger scale, what about your roof top full of these, what about a wall or garden full of these, what about the borders of a 50 acre farm full of these. i'm sure enough of these could be made and sustainable enough to send micheal j fox back into the future again and again and again.

TA152H please put your head in the bucket, some one will be around shortly to take care of you. your intellect does not compute. i suggest you go back to physics class

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
sorry for my last post. i was assuming you had possibly graduated from college or maybe even high school, jokes on me. your questions are great, i hope you go to class with these questions and some one can explain the serious flaws in your arguement you made.
if you have a college degree, my question for you is are you an ENT from lord of the rings? i can not see the ideology that goes into this kind of concern unless you were a jealous tree hugger.
you should be more concerned with renewable fuel production like ethanol draining the earths ground water supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.