Scientists Envision Powerful Antennas in Your Clothes

Status
Not open for further replies.

bak0n

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
That way the government can track each persons movement individually. Excellent Idea for the civilian crowd! Really! No sarcasm here!

G

"Scientists Envision Powerful Antennas in Your Clothes"

Those perverts!

blubbey

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
[citation][nom]the_krasno[/nom]Powerful antennas? Doesn't that mean a LOT of EM radiation, which is unhealthy?[/citation]

Well that's the thing, is it THAT dangerous? Light is EM radiation after all. Radio, Infrared, UV waves are all EM radiation. Studies have been done on mobile phones and their effects on the brain, the ones I have seen show the brain naturally fluctuates more than the effects of the phone, so I'm not totally convinced. I shall sarch the interwebs for more!

jecastej

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
Embedded, disposable, washable, somehow reliable electronics will be used in future clothing. It could be antennas, low volt rechargers, small sensors, information chips, wireless devices, etc It will be up to the specific use. For military soldiers, explorers, remote workers it could be absolutely positive. For children under supervision with -secure- connections, it may be possible. For everybody, as long as it will be proven, reliable and won't represent any threat, ok.

If any of these devices could be accessed remotely and could reveal sensible information further security developments should be done. But anyway, cellphones provide a lot to hackers.

G

The problem with the studies that they did regarding cell phone usage and the potential effects it had for long term use is that there is NO long-term data. People have been using cell-phones at the massive levels now for what, maybe 10 years? I know they were used long before this, but no relevant studies were done at this time. I can't imagine that having so many cell-phones, wireless signals, and now antennas protruding from your clothing would be very good on the cells in your body. Long-term studies need to be done to accurately measure the destructive effects it could pose.

Granted, being out in the sun is actually good for you. Being out in the sun for too long leads to many types of cancer. Small doses I can see, but people are becoming a bit burdened by all this technology and the different EM wavelengths that propogate with the new tech.

bobusboy

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
[citation][nom]blubbey[/nom]Well that's the thing, is it THAT dangerous? Light is EM radiation after all. Radio, Infrared, UV waves are all EM radiation. Studies have been done on mobile phones and their effects on the brain, the ones I have seen show the brain naturally fluctuates more than the effects of the phone, so I'm not totally convinced. I shall sarch the interwebs for more![/citation]

Infrared and visible light is non-ionizing and therefor harmless....

G

Um, anything coming out of a cell phone, WiFi, etc. are also all non-ionizing.

The argument goes that the very small heating effects of non-ionizing radiation (or equivalently, "very small wiggles" of molecules) can, over the long-term, cause some health problem. There's been enough research though, to pretty conclusively demonstrate that even if there is some risk, it's pretty miniscule -- orders of magnitude less than the additional risk we incur just by driving cars, for instance.

legacy7955

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
[citation][nom]cts corvette[/nom]You're wearing it wrong.[/citation]

LOL!

"Apple sues clothing makers, saying ONLY THEY CAN MAKE CANCER CAUSING ATTIRE!"

Archean

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
Along with EM issues, there is one little concern of privacy, I am not sure how people comeup with such stupid ideas that people would want to get tracked voluntarily (I am talking about civilian application of this).

Status
Not open for further replies.