Scientists Worry Over Super-Smart AI

Status
Not open for further replies.

lifelesspoet

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
If Asimov's three rules don't work, there is another way.
Here are my three rules for preventing a robot Apocalypse, or at least to prevent another atrocity that was the I, robot movie.
Not allowing freedom of movement.
No direct connection to the internet or other AI's.
Hard wired failsafes and manual back up systems.

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
... it's a fascinated time to be alive... all, that we need, is a shift from monetary based to resource based economy... because when not, then "Additionally, progress has raised concerns that robots will take the place of human workers, and that humans will eventually be forced to live with machines that mimic human behaviors. There's also concern that criminals could take advantage of advancements in AI, using a "speech synthesis system" to impersonate another human, for example, or mining smart phones to uncover personal information.
"

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
Wasnt IBM trying to make a supercomputer with the intelligence of a dog or something like that? What ever happened with that?

syavash

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2009
Well if you take this think in the right direction

just think, robots doing all the work for free, no need to pay them, MEN WILL BE GREE TO FOLLOW THEIR PLEASURES AND spend mor etime inventing then acting like a workhorse

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
"Will 2001: A Space Odyssey's HAL 9000 become a reality soon? No, but scientists fear that technology is heading that way."

Human level intelligence in AI is far closer than most people think, or want to accept. Given exponential growth of most information technology it isn't unreasonable to excpect 'HAL' level machines in the next 15 years..

Upendra09

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
But can they run Crysis? LOL

Any way robots will be cause of the next great depression because the will put tons of humans out of work

will_chellam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
The robots that autonomously kill, I seem to remember they were made by samsung - the face recognition on their digicams seems ok-ish, so im sure a robot mounted machine gun will be fine.....

Marnad

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009
Hmm, quite interesting. I'm sure, as others probably are, that many of the critical advancements in making robots with human-like intelligence has occured in the private sector of development, as opposed to the public eye.

I'm betting there is a lot of concern behind closed doors. Allow yourself to envision robots that can establish their own organizations, mine for elements, improve themselves, etc. It's a sobering thought. Some action should be taken to prevent selecting the wrong path with robotics development.

crom

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
As long as Windows is the prevalent operating system I don't think we have anything to fear from the robots... until they get SP2!

Status
Not open for further replies.