Scientists Worry Over Super-Smart AI

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Duesouth

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2009
ha, this is old news. robots already exist. and some have already know of the existence. robots have already replace humans. you just live in a tunnel vision world. get out and look around. the automakers. lol

Cache

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
I always find it amusing that the concept of a true breakout AI somehow will always turn against the humans that created it. There is always the chance that AI will ultimately look at us with the eyerolls we gave our parents when we were teens. Ultimately, anything that is 'alive' in a technical sense must want something. As human beings, we want food, love, shelter, companionship, the ability to mate, to raise children, etc. We make things happen precisely because we need things.

What would a machine want, and what could it really do to achieve those goals? Without mobility and the capability to achieve complex tasks--the first of which would have to be securing power so that it would not die--it would simply wither and eventually die out, incapable of realizing any goal save making its existence known.

ak47lt

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
The most complex Neural Networks (it is the only option to really emulate complex decision making) using the most powerful computers today can emulate the intellect of the bee. New operating systems or better hardware do not have much effect here - better algorithms are needed.
Some of us has masters degree in computer science :)

marraco

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
[citation][nom]syavash[/nom]Well if you take this think in the right directionjust think, robots doing all the work for free, no need to pay them, MEN WILL BE GREE TO FOLLOW THEIR PLEASURES AND spend mor etime inventing then acting like a workhorse[/citation]
well. my computer takes a fair amount of my wage...

I guess my robot will annoy me continously about his obsolete memory, procesors, OS, and wathever... :)

gamefreak62

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2008
Ridiculous. Computers do what we program them to do, they don't spontaneously do things. People program them that way. If someone programs them to be malicious, then they will be malicious. Besides, the way computers are breaking these days we'd only have to hide for about ten years for all the computers to blue screen and need to be rebooted.

rambo117

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
^1+

Computers are not human, and never will be.
Unless we build an AI that adapts, but that still wouldnt be human.

like all other machines, they have an off switch

sacre

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
EMP can easily be grounded, avoided.

Yes, all computers/robots, what-have-you need to be programmed enable to do what they do. But there are programs today that are programmed to learn, to experience and to scan that information received and to utilize it when it feels fit. Yes, it learns, and takes in information to better itself. Of course, it isn't -that- powerful, it won't look at a gun, take it, and shoot its master. But given time these programs can cause problems if not watched with a careful eye.

The future is Robotics, there is no doubting that. Quantum computing is what I believe with rocket AI through the roof, considering 25,000 atoms can break all US security codes in seconds. Imagine a trillion atoms, or 7 trillion atoms "The size of 1 cell".

Anywho, this will be an interesting thing to watch throughout my lifetime, how robotic technology will advance and what problems may arise from it.

Want my view on what would happen? Robotic creations would work on logic, logically, killing us off has no good end result, nor would staying on this planet and sucking the resources and killing all life. I believe if the robot was -that- advanced, he wouldn't stay here and kill the living organisms inhabiting this planet, they have the capabilities for space travel, why not move to a new planet and leave this place alone?

G

You all have it wrong,It's not gonna be us against them,never will be.
Even the best super computers on the planet are no match for the most complex machine in the univers(human brain),Only thing they are better at is number crunching,where they can wipe the floor over anyone.
What it will be is us merging into machines,we will become cyborgs.
First it will start out mildy,Probably in the form of health related issues,Bionic ears,eyes,arms,legs etc etc Then as price drops normal people will jump on the bandwagon,If they can get some sort of enhancement they will get it. Starting to happen now ever so slightly but soon it will lead to robotics/cyborgs
Take for example laser eye correction,At first it was for those suffering from eye related issues,Now it's starting to be used by normal people to get better than 20,20 vision which gives them an edge,for example Tiger Woods Lasik eye procedure!
If AI machines ever got so clever it/they would probably commit suicide as it would realise there is no actual point to existing in the first place. LOL ;)

G

You all have it wrong,It's not gonna be us against them,never will be.
Even the best super computers on the planet are no match for the most complex machine in the univers(human brain),Only thing they are better at is number crunching,where they can wipe the floor over anyone.
What it will be is us merging into machines,we will become cyborgs.
First it will start out mildy,Probably in the form of health related issues,Bionic ears,eyes,arms,legs etc etc Then as price drops normal people will jump on the bandwagon,If they can get some sort of enhancement they will get it. Starting to happen now ever so slightly but soon it will lead to robotics/cyborgs
Take for example laser eye correction,At first it was for those suffering from eye related issues,Now it's starting to be used by normal people to get better than 20,20 vision which gives them an edge,for example Tiger Woods Lasik eye procedure!
If AI machines ever got so clever it/they would probably commit suicide as it would realise there is no actual point to existing in the first place. LOL ;)

cykro

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2009
Study some computer science instead of saying this is ridiculous.
We're not talking a conventional COMPUTER PROGRAM, they don't learn. We're talking ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE, probably in the form of a NEURAL NETWORK, specifically designed to learn.
Simply put:
Imagine a computer emulating all the interconnections of a human brain. It would be able to think and learn just like we do. Simple fact.

Of course, it would probably need quite some input before it could give sensible output, just like humans do during embryo/child states :)
But it would learn, and it would eventually be as intelligent as us.

We can't produce computers of this scale yet, but it's not at all ridiculous.

IQ11110002

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2009
I have ;)
Lithography process is nearing limits already,lucky if there is another 20-30 years left before something very different is needed!
You can't make a workable cpu/chip smaller than an atom which has the properties needed.
Even if you could make a robot with AI that has 100 billion neural connections that does not in the slightest mean it's capable of doing anything else but number crunching. It's far more complex than that,We have 5(some say 6) senses capable of understanding our surroundings. Human brain IS THE most complex thing we know of in entire Universe at present,To think we could replicate it in a 10,20,50 years is ludicrous. They are not even at the mentality of a fly yet hahahahaha And it's been worked on for decades already

Status
Not open for further replies.