Question Screen blinks / flickers when zooming in and out images or opening videos

Mar 12, 2022
Hi, I have an issue with my laptop. It is a Dell Inspiron 15 7560, OS is Win 10 64.

The screen flickers/blinks black while I am zooming in images, it happens with anything regarding videos as well. I have a screen record of the issue: https://1drv.ms/v/s!AnOqppAdQfmAzUwo2MCE8BPo1Jjf?e=BESvgu

So far I have tried to reinstall and also install a different version of each video driver. Both for the Intel HD Graphics 620 and also the Nvidia 940MX, but to no avail.

If I connect a second monitor/screen the issue does not happen on the second one, just with the main laptop screen.

mrmike16

Honorable
"If I connect a second monitor/screen the issue does not happen on the second one, just with the main laptop screen. "

To me that sounds like a screen issue, not a video card driver issue.
It could also be a different component. Check if it happens in Safe Mode. Also, did you try only enabling the integrated graphics to make sure it isn't your video card?

In the video that looks like Windows Photos. Does this happen only on that application?

Mar 12, 2022
"If I connect a second monitor/screen the issue does not happen on the second one, just with the main laptop screen. "

To me that sounds like a screen issue, not a video card driver issue.
It could also be a different component. Check if it happens in Safe Mode. Also, did you try only enabling the integrated graphics to make sure it isn't your video card?

In the video that looks like Windows Photos. Does this happen only on that application?

Hi and thanks for answering.
So I did some new tests based on what you said.
First I tried to restart in safe mode, I was able to normally open images and the issue did not occur, but this is also taking into consideration that in safe mode, only the Microsft Display Driver was active at the moment.

I found out something that might help to isolate the issue: When using Photoshop, if I disable the Graphics Processor on Performance, the application will use only the Internal Graphics Display, and with that, I can use Photoshop normally without issues. But if I enable the Graphics Processor, the screen flashes into black just like Windows Photo does. I believe the issue is with the Nvidia off-board card.

Reactions: mrmike16

mrmike16

Honorable
I agree with you that the problem seems to be in the NVIDIA card. But we still don't know whether the card is bad or the driver. If the driver is up to date, I suggest trying an older version of the driver by downloading it from their website and, with the network disconnected, uninstalling the current driver and installing the older one.

Reactions: DarkShinobiN7
Mar 12, 2022
I agree with you that the problem seems to be in the NVIDIA card. But we still don't know whether the card is bad or the driver. If the driver is up to date, I suggest trying an older version of the driver by downloading it from their website and, with the network disconnected, uninstalling the current driver and installing the older one.

I was able to try installing older versions of the drivers both for Nvidia and the Internal Graphics Driver as well. But the issue persists.