Screen is black. Laptop won't boot.

EpicWingz

Estimable
Oct 18, 2015
My laptop (ASUS N56VM) promped a Windows X update saying that it couldn't install it. I clicked the notification and once it installed the computer screen went black. I could still see and move the mouse cursor. Aprox 30 mins after, I got impatiend and hard shut off the laptop. When I tried turning it back on the computer screen is completly black, No mouse, No fan noise, you could hear the HDD running but no LED light saying that it was reading it. It doesn't boot. I took the CMOS battery out for a minute. And retried. The computer booted perfectly. Me, thinking that the issue was resolved I restarted it. Booted fine. Then I tried shutting it down. It happened the same thing again, No boot, no screen, no fan. I have tried taking the CMOS battery out again, for more than an hour. I got the CMOS battery tested for voltage. I have tried booting with and without the HDD, with and without RAM, with and without CPU. During the trouble shooting sometimes the laptop turned off by itself not even a second after I turned it on. Or it turned on by itself when I plugged in the charger. Idk what else to try. Please help!! I have pictures of the GPU and the insides of needed be.

Solution
Hi,

Please do try these troubleshooting steps that may help in resolving that issue.
- Do a hard reset first, remove the battery and AC adapter then press and hold the power button for 20 seconds. Plug just the AC adapter and see if the laptop would boot up normally.
- If it still won't work just reseat the RAM don't leave it out the laptop, just put it back in after couple of seconds making sure that it's well seated.
- If the laptop has it's lights on and you can hear the fan and HDD working connect an external monitor if available and see if you'll get any display from it because if your do your laptop maybe thinking that it has another monitor connected to it. Just press the Windows key + P at the same time and select "Display...
Hi,

Please do try these troubleshooting steps that may help in resolving that issue.
- Do a hard reset first, remove the battery and AC adapter then press and hold the power button for 20 seconds. Plug just the AC adapter and see if the laptop would boot up normally.
- If it still won't work just reseat the RAM don't leave it out the laptop, just put it back in after couple of seconds making sure that it's well seated.
- If the laptop has it's lights on and you can hear the fan and HDD working connect an external monitor if available and see if you'll get any display from it because if your do your laptop maybe thinking that it has another monitor connected to it. Just press the Windows key + P at the same time and select "Display Only" then press Enter.
- If all these steps doesn't work you may need to contact the manufacturer for a repair if it's still under the factory warranty.

Solution

EmmaMicheala

Commendable
Jan 3, 2017
omg thankyou so much Laptop_Nerd all of the steps you listed helped me fix my computer!!!