Sd from camera stopped reading last half in computer

Littlebitmanu

Estimable
Jun 13, 2015
Able to transfer pics & videos from Ricoh WG-4 to hard drive successfully...first 4 days of Maui vacation....from a 32GB sd card...however, computer said could not read card (when day 5 was trying to transfer). Need to format it says.
Now card cannot be read in camera nor computer...any of the card! What has happened?

Solution
sounds like it may have been corrupted due to removing it without the "safely remove device" procedure being followed. while i've never had this happen to camera sd cards (i suppose it could if you connect via a slot or adapter) its happened quite often with usb thumb drives (which are flash memory based just like sd cards).

if you pull a drive out while it is still writing to the drive this can happen.

if those photos are must-saves (if it was my vacation they would be) i'd try to pull them off with a data recovery program. there are many free programs out there although the one i prefer to use myself is power data recovery which is free up to 1gb (then its paid software). you could pick & choose certain photos if you wanted to keep...
sounds like it may have been corrupted due to removing it without the "safely remove device" procedure being followed. while i've never had this happen to camera sd cards (i suppose it could if you connect via a slot or adapter) its happened quite often with usb thumb drives (which are flash memory based just like sd cards).

if you pull a drive out while it is still writing to the drive this can happen.

if those photos are must-saves (if it was my vacation they would be) i'd try to pull them off with a data recovery program. there are many free programs out there although the one i prefer to use myself is power data recovery which is free up to 1gb (then its paid software). you could pick & choose certain photos if you wanted to keep it free (this is what i do).

Solution