Seagate 750GB SATA HDD Data Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCDad

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
Hi, I am working with an internal 750GB SATA HDD from Seagate. The HDD was operating fine previously with Win7 Ultimate installed as the primary HDD for desktop system. My goal was to wipe the HDD and reinstall Win7.

I've used a few different disk wipe tools so far. I started with GDisk, but GDisk wouldn't start up. I then went to Ultimate Boot CD. Ultimate Boot CD wipe utility ran for 48HRs+ without ever completing. I tried Darik's Boot & Nuke. It didn't complete successfully either. I had tried CBL Data Shredder Disk Wipe Tool and thought it ran successfully, but Win7 wouldn't install afterwards. So, I attempted another disk wipe tool but it wanted to run for approximately 600+HRs. I don't have time for that so I stopped the wipe process.

After stopping the disk wipe process, I now no longer have access to the HDD. I've tried a few different recovery tools. Seagate's SeaTools for Windows doesn't recognize the HDD.

I'm using my notebook with Win 7 for diagnostics & troubleshooting. My Win 7 Disk Mgt tool can "see" the drive. It appears as Disk 1, Unknown, Not Initialized, Unallocated (no drive letter assigned). I right-click to initialize and I get an error message stating "Data Error (Cyclic Redundancy Check). I click on Properties and it says the device is working properly.

Also, I can eject the USB Seria-ATA bridge for the HDD as I hear it spin up and I get a successful removal message. I switch from one USB port to another and I see the drive appear in Disk Mgt. I hear the drive spin up normally, or so it seems. I hear the heads fall back as the drive goes into standby after a while, at least I think that is what it is doing as it gets quiet.

I've tried to use BootIt BM, but that program doesn't seem to want to work at all. It's a trial version.

I've tried TestDisk 7.0 from www.cgsecurity.org. TestDisk seems to be trying to resolve some kind of disk error. I notice it doesn't seem to recognize the drive as demonstrated in its support pages.

The HDD seems like it could work if I can get the right repair tool kit. The HDD is out of warranty as I verified with Seagate's warranty page. Maybe I bricked it, which would be a real downer.

Any comments or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!

08JUN2015 23:20 EDT

In continuing my research, I came across information about a program called Partition Find and Mount. It's windows installable. I'm currently running it in Fast Intellectual Scan. Documentation says this type of disk scan only takes seconds. However, my scan is at 3% after several minutes have passed. I'm pleased something has at least found the drive and is scanning it.

harryfishrules

Estimable
Jun 26, 2015

Hey NCDad. Before I try and solve this problem for you, are you still experiencing this issue?

NCDad

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
Hi harryfishrules,

I didn't realize there was a response to this question until now. Somehow, I missed it. To answer your question, no, this is no longer a problem. The HDD repair attempt was scrubbed with the purchase of a new HDD.

Status
Not open for further replies.