Search Google and Wikipedia Simultaneously

Status
Not open for further replies.

zerapio

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2002
Another option is to use the keyword feature from Firefox. To set it up click the drop down arrow in the search bar, click on "Manage Search Engines...", highlight the Wikipedia entry and click on "Edit Keyword...", add something short and easy to remember such as 'w', click OK to both windows.

To do a wiki search just press ctrl+t to open a new tab, type the keyword followed with your search query and press enter. In my case that could be "w toms guide".

Needless to say this "trick" can be done with any search engine registered in Firefox. I use it heavily with Google.

thedipper

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
The best option to search google and wikipedia is to SEARCH GOOGLE.

Wikipedia is almost always one of the first results.

hallic7

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]zerapio[/nom]Another option is to use the keyword feature from Firefox. To set it up click the drop down arrow in the search bar, click on "Manage Search Engines...", highlight the Wikipedia entry and click on "Edit Keyword...", add something short and easy to remember such as 'w', click OK to both windows.To do a wiki search just press ctrl+t to open a new tab, type the keyword followed with your search query and press enter. In my case that could be "w toms guide".Needless to say this "trick" can be done with any search engine registered in Firefox. I use it heavily with Google.[/citation]

Nice Tip!! :D

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
YES! I've been switching between Wiki and Google for ages. Its about time someone wrote a Firefox addon like this... Installed like 10 seconds after I saw this article. TY for the tip.

ckthecerealkiller

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
Sounds like a convenient feature. Usually I don't use wikipedia but if I am looking for results instead of doing "search" I just do a "search" wiki.

As far as little add-ons go I like Reload Every. It's a free way to watch my companies stock plummet every 5 seconds :).

The Schnoz

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
Or you can just use google or yahoo by themselves which automatically checks wikipedia anyway. I don't know about you but wikipedia comes up a lot in my searches. I know it's different, but good enough for me.

cryogenic

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
xmarks is an FF addon that very few know of, and very useful. And according to my search on the site it was never mentioned.

ColMirage

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
xMarks is great. Allows you to backup your bookmarks on a server. Also, NoScript is great for getting rid of ads, but it can also need to be baby sitted sometimes.

twisted politiks

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
[citation][nom]Cryogenic[/nom]xmarks is an FF addon that very few know of, and very useful. And according to my search on the site it was never mentioned.[/citation]

Xmarks is awesome, didnt know nobody knew about it though. its an addon that saves all of your favorites above the tab bar to their server, so everytime you reformat, or just have multiple computers that you need/want the same quick links, you can login to xmarks and they will automatically load, and keep track if you change them too. :)

bmikulla

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
If you ever need to write a research paper, complete with proper citations, Zotero is a great Fire Fox add-on. You can even download an add-on for Word and I believe open office so you just pick your source from the list you have collected and it will insert the citation in the style you select (i.e. MLA, Chicago, Harvard ref format, etc.). Takes the pain out of typing the Works Cited page.

Status
Not open for further replies.