Second Life Used to Train Med Students

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridik876

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008
"complete with a Respiratory ward, an operating room, and an O.R."

I wonder if it also has an emergency room and an E.R. And I bet it's full of medical doctors and M.D.'s.

G

I think this is a very interesting and hot new innovation. Some of the technology simulation games that are being developed include a sensory experience component that can add value to muscle memory training. If the army/defense us games and simulation to train for combat, then the medical profession can certainly do so as well. One of the nice things about the simulation experience is that doctors can train on surgery or other related issues that may not always occur enough in real life to provide proper training. I recently wrote a post on this topic and discussed how IT professionals in the gaming and simulation industry should consider transferring their skills to the medical simulation industry. You should check it out - -http://ithirewire.com.

athreex

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008
[citation][nom]dingumf[/nom]And then your realize your virtual wife has virtual breast cancer...[/citation]

Your comment ain't far from the truth. Atually, you can have virtual babies. There is people that work for money in second life ( there is currency exchange in dollars/linden). Linden is the money on second life. People pay for virtual lands.

Thanks for the currency exchange, there are musicians having their career in SL ( Yeah there are actually bands (jazz, pop, rock, OPERA).

In my opinion... SL is scary, you can have highest the expectations out of it, and believe me, you'll still be short with your imagination.

Thanks to these infinite possibilities. It is dangerously addictive. Peeple has loss their "lives" (wives, relationships, work) just because of this little App that takes roughly 25 MB to download.

I can say this because I entered for a couple of days...and damn it, The sims is ABC compared to SL.

tygrus

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2005
It is designed to compliment training not replace it. It allows them to see cause and affect before experimenting on live patients and crowding hospital space. The test subjects may be controlled by supervisors, scripted actors or AI. The supervisors can monitor progress and interaction without getting in the way. The SL training is probably more life like than actors and less risky than live patients.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]WheelsOfConfusion[/nom]Does this mean vets will start training on all the virtual furries in SL?[/citation]

Get the scalpal away form me!

JK.
I don't play 2L. ;)

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
This is about stupid, waste of time and they probably used some form of taxpayer dollars to pay for it, maybe the porkulus bill the hacks in DC passed without even reading it!

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
exactly. +1

[citation][nom]tygrus[/nom]It is designed to compliment training not replace it. It allows them to see cause and affect before experimenting on live patients and crowding hospital space. The test subjects may be controlled by supervisors, scripted actors or AI. The supervisors can monitor progress and interaction without getting in the way. The SL training is probably more life like than actors and less risky than live patients.[/citation]

athreex

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008
[citation][nom]WheelsOfConfusion[/nom]Does this mean vets will start training on all the virtual furries in SL?[/citation]

haha ...Tamagotchi meets Second Life

[citation][nom]vabeachboy0[/nom]i wonder if u can take a virtual crap lol[/citation]

Actually you can use toilets :)

And yeah there is virtual crap. :)

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
I know when/if I have a heart attack I want to be treated by someone who learned thier medical skills in Second Life...

NOT!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.