Securities at Home

staceygod

Honorable
Jun 1, 2013
We have been having a lot of trouble with home security and one of the recent fiascos involved getting our house broken in by burglars. It was such a traumatic experience for us especially to my wife who has become very paranoid lately. She has insisted on installing new locks and bolts on our doors and windows, which I find reasonable at some point. However, she has also started insisting we invest in Surveillance Cameras too. I’d want to know if it would be practical to invest in one considering we have changed the locks and keys to our home and even invested in window locks too. Any insights?

unksol

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
Good security cameras are expensive, and they only help you AFTER the fact IF you can recognize someone. Most you'll just know someone was there and that's it. An alarm system is generally cheaper and more effective.

there are wireless motion, glass break, and windows/door sensors that can be used without doing wiring, although wired is better. They work with a central panel and can be monitored or unmonitored. Just having them set off an alarm will usually make people run.

There are also standalone products like these.
www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16881147008

They are cheap and really only effective if you're home to hear them go off, but will certainly wake you up if there's someone breaking in. Again just the sound can make them run too.

There's also landscaping you can do (thorny rose bush under the windows) and motion activated flood lights will discourage people as well, as they don't want passing cars to see them sneaking around.

Changing the locks an bolts won't do ANYTHING unless they used a key to get in... And they are very easy to pick/bump without a key anyway if it's a theif with half a brain. thankfully most are stupid and easy to scare off, simply because with a little effort there will be lots of easier targets than you.

unksol

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
Also, if you've ever (or even never) considered having a dog that's pretty much the best security system you can have and I'm sure your local shelter has plenty looking for a good home. Certainly not an option for everyone but would probably do wonders for your wife if she's open to the idea. Guaranteed to wake you up if sometime breaks in and she has her own personal buddy/body guard when she's home alone.

staceygod

Honorable
Jun 1, 2013
Thank you so much for that information. It would be better to follow your advice. I think surveillance cameras are too much for our house too. I think i'll get an alarm system instead :D