Security Concerns Drive Adoption of Home Automation

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
Specifically, consumers are apparently interested in smoke alarm alerts, home invasion alerts, video monitoring, and light adjustments

Here's something they forgot: Firewall and software security. Remotely hijack the home automation software, and walk in.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
So, people are only concerned about these "automation" systems providing additional security and convenience? Personally, I'd be more concerned with the security risk they pose.... Consider this.... Your "home automation system" is connected to your home security system. Someone sitting outside uses their Android smartphone to "hack" your home network and gain access to your "home automation system" and consequently, your home security system. Now, where is the increased security?

As long as a network is involved....security is nothing but an illusion...

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
And if there are cameras in the house, then they can be hijacked by someone else. Ranging from your typical pervert to a house burglar scouting to see if you have anything of interest.

victorintelr

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
after watching documentaries on how researchers are breaking in to everything, from peacemakers to cars to do anything they want, it leaves me wondering, is the alarm hardware system encrypted? how much is enough, and like sikozis said:
[citation][nom]sykozis[/nom] As long as a network is involved....security is nothing but an illusion...[/citation]
especially wireless. I was just watching a commercial bout a vivdit or something like that offering home automation system, and was just wondering about the actual system security.

Status
Not open for further replies.