Seeking help to figure out how to add 5.1 sound to my office setup.

DJohnson

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2011
So, I have a 2.1 setup right now for my PC/Xbox (on the same tv) that is sort of a cheat in itself (the speakers are just plugged into the headphone jack on my tv) and I am ready to upgrade the speakers and go to a 5.1 setup but I want to be sure that A. I will get TRUE 5.1 surround, and B. that I know ahead of time how I will have to rig it up/what my needs are so I buy compatible equipment for my setup.

I have:
-PC with AMD Radeon HD 6800 series card running HDMI to my monitor
http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/amd-radeon-hd-6000/hd-6850/pages/amd-radeon-hd-6850-overview.aspx#2
Integrated HD audio controller

Output protected high bit rate 7.1 channel surround sound over HDMI or DisplayPort with no additional cables required
Supports AC-3, AAC, Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio formats

- monitor is a TV: LG LE225300
http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-22LE5300-led-tv
It does have a optical digital out, but I don't know if it outputs at full DTS or if the TV is going to internally convert incoming sound for its 2 speakers, and then output that (I've heard some TVs do that). Like I said right now I'm using a 2.1 system through the headphone jack.

-Also have an Xbox 360 plugged in using the component input.

So, if you had this existing equipment and wanted to upgrade your sound to a 5.1 system, how would you do it?

If I buy speakers with an optical digital input and plug them into the TV will that work? I am having no luck finding out if this TV will output proper audio or if it is going to down-convert the audio to 2-channel before sending it out the optical out.

Solution
Yep, that's a good alternative. That prety much bypasses all of the need for the audio output fiddling on the xbox. If you have other devices, they can obviously plug directly into the receiver! I do know the audio extractors are expensive, and usually they're used when someone has a very expensive piece of equipment, and can't really afford to replace it. For your use, a new receiver is just as good.

jcoultas98

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
The output on your TV will output 5.1 on a 5.1 source. Basically, any HDMI, or Antenna/Cable HD source with a 5.1 track built in. If your XBOX has HDMI, you can simply take HDMI to the TV, and use the optical out on your TV set. If not, your XBOX should have an optical output on the component video block. You still need a 5.1 receiver, 5 speakers, and a sub.

DJohnson

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2011
Is there a way to tell for certain that TV will behave that way? I have seen other TVs that explicitly state they only output DTS or Dolby Digital 5.1 from digital cable signals coming in. Any of their aux inputs only get output as 2 channel stereo.

I just want to be sure the TV is going give me proper surround before I waste money on nice 5.1 speakers.

DJohnson

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2011
That seems like a pricey item for something that only does one thing.

I imagine there are receivers with HDMI input and output i could use, right? Maybe go that route, so:

PC and XBOX via HDMI to receiver, receiver uses HDMI to TV and then the TV is bypassed entirely as far as sound is concerned, with the receiver sending sound to the speakers. That would work, right?

I was thinking something like this, for example:
YAMAHA RX-V373BL 5.1-Channel AV Receiver
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882115373

jcoultas98

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
Yep, that's a good alternative. That prety much bypasses all of the need for the audio output fiddling on the xbox. If you have other devices, they can obviously plug directly into the receiver! I do know the audio extractors are expensive, and usually they're used when someone has a very expensive piece of equipment, and can't really afford to replace it. For your use, a new receiver is just as good.

Solution