Sega: PS2, Dreamcast Titles Coming to PSN

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

joking aside its good to hear that they havent abandoned the idea of running ps2 games on ps3 it shows that they had planned to bring back ps2 emulation but in a different way than we all thought. and now we can hopefully put to rest all this bickering about the ps3 backward compatibility.

pawel342

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
I have feelings that SONY will release a new firmware update before Christmas that will enable PS2 emulation. It is already known that the cell is able to emulate PS2 games with no hardware nor software emulation.

pawel342

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
I have feelings that SONY will release a new firmware update before Christmas that will enable PS2 emulation. It is already known that the cell is able to emulate PS2 games with no hardware nor software emulation.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
This has been rumored for quite a while... especially when the patent came up.

There have been arguments about this... no BC in the new PS3s, but if improved emulation works... its a win win. The only thing is:
Does it mean that owners of PS2 games can pop the CDs into the drive and play?

But then again, if the PSN downloaded games are 99.9~100% compatible - the PS2 owner can SELL their games and keep their downloads (saving space too).

captaincharisma

Distinguished
well they say the PS3 can do everything so they would have to put PS2 emulation back in. doesn't matter to me though because i have a 300GB HDD in my Ps2 and ripped all my games in it and sold all of the disks except my copies of final fantasy 7 and chrono cross.

johnny_5

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
[citation][nom]pawel342[/nom]I have feelings that SONY will release a new firmware update before Christmas that will enable PS2 emulation. It is already known that the cell is able to emulate PS2 games with no hardware nor software emulation.[/citation]
Neither hardware nor software emulation? Unless I'm missing something you either need hardware similar enough to run the code the same way or new software to act as a bridge between the old code and new hardware. Old PS3's used hardware BC, less old ones used software emulation of PS2 cpu with Cell, and hardware emulation (had old GPU in it) for graphics AFAIK.

johnny_5

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
Oh, and Sony Computer Entertainment is really struggling to keep secrets recently. It's Sega's fault, not there's, but either way, the secrets are out. I wonder if Sega's gonna get punished for the slip somehow.

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
And they said that creating emulators was a bad bad thing. Now we have the old N64 titles on Wii, PS2 titles on the previous PS3, PS1 on the PSP, and now this.

snarfeck

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2009
this makes me very excited. i remember playing NES on my dreamcast and thinking, "this is all i'll ever need!" then came the incredible modded xbox. so now if DREAMCAST gets on the newer consoles, i and every other nerd out there will be in heaven. shenmue forever!!!

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
These sound more like ports than emulation. I've wondered how difficult would it be to port games as apposed to writing and maintaining an emulator.

Status
Not open for further replies.