Sega Wanted Xbox to Play Dreamcast Games

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Railgun1369

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
SEGA does NOT stand for Sony Entertainment Group of America. It stands for SErvice GAmes. Sony is SCE...Sony Computer Entertainment.

I loved the Dreamcast. The contoller, bulky as it was, was really comfortable to use and control. The console was definitely ahead of its time. It had tons of potential, but SEGA just wasn't meant to keep tossing out hardware it seems. That would have been nice if MS played nicely, but as we all know, no one gives a crap about what the consumer wants. :)

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
I have every Sega Dreamcast game made and 3 consoles, not missing out on anything from my xbox not being able to play it. The dreamcast even has a VGA box hooked up to it which gives it even more appeal than the xbox console.

PS2 was all hype but eventually lived up to some of it. It took about 2 years or so for that to occur though. Dreamcast was better than PS2 was when PS2 launched.

pete3867

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2008
I think its fair to say that ps2 killed the beloved Dreamcast , and I remember hearing rumours of it being ported to xbox years ago ...some of them dc games were awesome , I used to like Jet Set Radio (or jet 'grind' radio)in the u.s.a ...the virtual tamagotchi controller things were a bit lame though

zendax

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
[citation][nom]Silmarunya[/nom]If that was the problem, it would have been easy to produce an Xbox version with and without Dreamcast support. Obviously, the one with dreamcast would have a price premium, but most gamers would be happy to pay for it.[/citation]

That would highly depend on the amount of the premium. After all, the Dreamcast didn't die due to stellar sales figures.

G

I still have my Dreamcast and even though I have other consoles I still take the time to plug it in and play some of the best games ever. Soul Caliber, Sonic Adventure 1 & 2, Skies of Arcadia, Power Stone 1 & 2, Jet Grind Radio, Samba de Amigo, NBA 2k1, etc. They were just awesome.

Caffeinecarl

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008
That would have been awesome.

New game system: $300
Extra controllers: $50
A couple of fresh NEW titles to play on your new system: $100
STILL BEING ABLE TO PLAY YOUR OLD SYSTEM'S GAMES ON YOUR HOT NEW GAME SYSTEM: PRICELESS!

Backward compatibility with old titles is possibly the EASIEST and most effective way any system manufacturer can sell me on a new system. I remember when I first heard about the Game Boy Color something like 12 years or so ago. The first question I asked the salesman was "Does it play all old game boy games?" and when he told me it did, I was sold. It didn't just play them, it made them look better because the screen was nicer, and could even false colorize old games.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]pocketdrummer[/nom]I HATED the cable on that controller though, came out the back instead of the front. Not to mention, it was THEIR brilliant idea to make us pay to play online.... (which I despise them for)[/citation]Dude it had a place for it to clip in on the back, not exactly a big deal. As for pay to play online games... are you on crack? That wasn't new, even back then. If you want decent public servers, you gotta pay. If its privately hosted matches, thats a different story. Either way, it was inevitable for online gaming on public company-run servers to have a fee. Sorry. I wish everything was free too.

Hard Line

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2008
caffeinecarl.. why not use doxbox? those games should run fun then... I still play solar winds in dosbox.. ( if anyone knows where to get the second part of that game, feel free to let me know.. it is abandonware at this point but I can't find it.. only find the first half)

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
Figures Microsoft would make a dumb decision. What idiots. I'm actually mad now reading this. Whoever makes decisions in large corporations nowadays should be fired and preferably executed since they're completely retarded and don't deserve to be earning 7-8+ figures a year. Makes me sick.

V3ctor

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
Still have my Dreamcast connected to my Samsung T260 thru a VGA Box, just played it last weekend... "Shenmue" :D
Gotta love that piece of HW, it still holds on 10years after launch :)

TurinX

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
I can't help it, but every time I read an article about the dreamcast I get a lump in my throat.
There was something quite special about it - I still remember looking at preview pics before it came out and thinking 'wow'. Ah, what might have been.

eccentric909

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
[citation][nom]pete3867[/nom]I think its fair to say that ps2 killed the beloved Dreamcast , and I remember hearing rumours of it being ported to xbox years ago ...some of them dc games were awesome , I used to like Jet Set Radio (or jet 'grind' radio)in the u.s.a ...the virtual tamagotchi controller things were a bit lame though[/citation]
Jet Set Radio was awesome!! Played that game for hours and hours on end.
[citation][nom]soldier37[/nom]and why is the crapbox still relevent? Outdated garbage with a high failure rate. Oh I know its cause its the cheapest any joe schmo can pick one up. Dreamcast, what year is it again? lol.[/citation]

Hey Sony fanboy, the article itself is talking about the original XBox, which had very few, if any problems at all compared to it's competition at the time. It had a far smaller failure rate than the PS2 did. While the 360's failure rate is higher than the rest, the PS2 actually had a pretty high failure rate too.

captaincharisma

Distinguished
[citation][nom]Nik_I[/nom]I would love to see sega come back as a console maker. That would be sweet.[/citation]

I don't know man Sega never had any luck and was always in 2nd or 3rd place when it came to consoles. they were leading in the 90's with the genesis but at the end of that generation the SNES came out as the top console.

Hmm, well if the "big 3" aren't planning a new release for a few years, Sega could try to blind-side everyone by releasing a sweet next-gen machine in late 2010!

Sega was always the first one with a new console out but always got stuck in last place in every console generation

Platypus

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
I would say the market for console games has risen drastically over the past 10 years. With a name like Sega, which has immense trademark value, they could easily make a bundle if they come out with their own next-gen console in the near future and line up either some sequels or remakes of older games.

G

I would have bought one since I still have about 30 dreamcast games- Instead I switched to PC gaming and have not looked back.... I did buy a WII for the kids....

G

I share the same positive opinions of the Dreamcast as many others here. It was truly a great system when it came out. Too bad Sega messed up badly with the Saturn and 32X. That angered a lot of customers and third-party publishers. Sega actually got it RIGHT with the Dreamcast. The system was very powerful for the time. It was small. The games were super fun. All it needed was some sort of internal storage and it really would have been perfect. Even though its hardware is outdated compared to what is out there now, the games made the most of the hardware and still had that arcade look and feel.

Status
Not open for further replies.