Sega Wanted Xbox to Play Dreamcast Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

rodney_ws

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
Never played one myself... but everything I hear about 'em is positive. Since they're talking about the original XBox I imagine Microsoft was already sick thinking about how much they were losing on each unit and weren't exactly eager to add more costs to the device.

amdchuck

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
two words.....Soul Caliber

there were some great games for Dreamcast that would have surely enhanced the X-Box's market status.

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]rodney_ws[/nom]Never played one myself... but everything I hear about 'em is positive. Since they're talking about the original XBox I imagine Microsoft was already sick thinking about how much they were losing on each unit and weren't exactly eager to add more costs to the device.[/citation]

If that was the problem, it would have been easy to produce an Xbox version with and without Dreamcast support. Obviously, the one with dreamcast would have a price premium, but most gamers would be happy to pay for it.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]lvlouro[/nom]In a parallel universe the console scenario is totally different!!![/citation]In a parallel universe there's a Mike's Hardware Guide with human beings who eat with their ass.

G

back_by_demand,

You have the eras confused. The original Xbox was competing with the GameCube and PS2. For most means and purposes the Xbox did have the Dreamcast assets to call upon. Most of the major Dreamcast franchises were ported or had sequels on the Xbox, although Sega also spread a lot of their material around to the other platforms.

There really was no good technical solution to making the Xbox run Dreamcast games natively without giving up much of the Xbox's strengths. If Microsoft had bought Sega it would have had exclusives on more of the better franchises for porting or new games. This would have robbed the competition of some valuable items, especially on the GameCube where Super Monkeyball and the port of Sonic Adventure were stronger titles than Nintendo's early releases for its own machine. It would have had less effect on the PS2, which drew less strength from Sega titles.

fonzy

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
And this is where Sega says a big Fu(k-U and comes out with Genesis 2.0

It would never happen but an old Sega fan boy can dream!

G

Yeah no shit. But, to add to epobirs comment, because of Nintendo's hurting due to a lack of Sega support, we could have very well ended up without the Wii. Nintendo was hurting with the GamcCube. They may not have made it. We'll never know...

Freakykiwi

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
errm, PS3 owners don't even get PS2 compatibility anymore in an effort to reduce costs, why would xbox owners have been willing to pay for Dreamcast compatibility (unless it could have been done in software but I doubt it on a 733MHZ mobile Pentium 3 CPU and very different GPU architecture).

The xbox survived and its successor has made its place in the current console generation line up without this and Sega continue to produce great titles for Microsoft's platform.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]fonzy[/nom]And this is where Sega says a big Fu(k-U and comes out with Genesis 2.0It would never happen but an old Sega fan boy can dream![/citation]
[citation][nom]korsen[/nom]lol that'd be great. a big fuck you to nintendo from sega with love. we're back bitches.[/citation]
You two added a smile to my day. =D

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]epobirs[/nom]For most means and purposes the Xbox did have the Dreamcast assets to call upon. Most of the major Dreamcast franchises were ported or had sequels on the Xbox, although Sega also spread a lot of their material around to the other platforms.[/citation]As a Sega fan, I disagree. There were a FEW good Dreamcast games that either were ported to the Xbox, or had a sequel land on it. But Xbox missed out on a LOT of good titles, especially some killer 3rd-party Dreamcast games, not just Sega titles. Plus in the case of online games like PSO, the userbase got split up between various platforms after Dreamcast, so there were less people to play with overall.[citation][nom]epobirs[/nom]There really was no good technical solution to making the Xbox run Dreamcast games natively without giving up much of the Xbox's strengths.[/citation]There was a couple ways. Emulate the SH4 on the PIII, and include the PVR2DC and other hardware. Not perfect compatibility, though. They could have just included the whole DC, on a new smaller process (DC CPU was produced on a .25um process, for example). But as rodney said, it would have added cost to an already expensive unit. More importantly, Sega wanted online play, which I agree with. But MS balked at that for some reason - perhaps because none of those games used Xbox Live, and didn't mesh with their plans? Either way its a shame. [citation][nom]epobirs[/nom]If Microsoft had bought Sega it would have had exclusives on more of the better franchises for porting or new games.[/citation]Heck yes.
[citation][nom]BigO_65[/nom]Yeah no shit. But, to add to epobirs comment, because of Nintendo's hurting due to a lack of Sega support, we could have very well ended up without the Wii. Nintendo was hurting with the GamcCube. They may not have made it. We'll never know...[/citation]I believe that the GBA would have still kept them alive and well.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
[citation][nom]Gin Fushicho[/nom]I miss the Dreamcast , best console evar.[/citation]

I HATED the cable on that controller though, came out the back instead of the front. Not to mention, it was THEIR brilliant idea to make us pay to play online.... (which I despise them for)

Khimera2000

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
LOL so Sony ditches the SEGA franchise because they goof and made the play station so SEGA tries to go to Microsoft to save them... THAT'S CLASSIC :D SEGA is an acronym BTW... standing for Sony Entertainment Group of America... i say that Sony should of supported its own brand rather then entirely ditching it and making a new system. imagine what the Dreamcast would of bin with the budget of playstation research folded into its development. then again we all know how screwed up sony was as a corporation back in those days any how..

Status
Not open for further replies.