Sen. Al Franken Seeking Carrier IQ Answers from Carriers

Status
Not open for further replies.

rutiger

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2011
This is the same guy that is for net neutrality and the Patriot Act. He is nothing but another hypocritical ruler.

SoiledBottom

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
Asked why he wrote the letters, Sen. Al Franken had this to say

I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
I would not have anything against CarrierIQ's methods if there was an easy and transparent way about doing it, along with an opt-in (not an opt-out) for such "services" and a way to disable/uninstall the service should I ever change my mind about it.
The way this was implemented was a total failure and the carriers that did it deserve to be sacked, along with the maker of the software.
I always use plain vanilla Android ROMs on my phones, and I do not have this parasite on any of them, but if I did, I would very pissed about it. I hope this is going to cost CarrierIQ more money than it ever made by selling this shoddy product.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
[citation][nom]SoiledBottom[/nom]Asked why he wrote the letters, Sen. Al Franken had this to sayI'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me.[/citation]

Yeah, really. Can you believe that ass-clown is a US Senator?! I mean, to be sure, I'm sick of all the lawyers and their ilk in public office; but I think we could do better than this buffoon!

ib2007

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
Someone should write a simple app that would spam carrier iq with "f*ck u" repeatedly from all the billions of devices simutaniously and continuesly. I am just surprised no other senators are looking into the matter. But perhapse other senators dont have anything nasty to hide.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]rutiger[/nom]This is the same guy that is for net neutrality and the Patriot Act. He is nothing but another hypocritical ruler.[/citation]

You would have to be a idiot, or a corporate drone, to not be for net neutrality.

rutiger

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2011
[citation][nom]Kami3k[/nom]You would have to be a idiot, or a corporate drone, to not be for net neutrality.[/citation]

Actually, I am for property rights, negative rights and against regulatory capture. You have to be an idiot for use of ad hominem and your use of commas.

fixxxer113

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
If the lawmakers want to protect us from practices like that, they should pass a new law that says that if a carrier has done anything - and i mean ANYTHING - on their hardware or software that is not written in the agreement that is signed by the customer (i.e. "we might spy on you") and so the customer is not aware of it to begin with, then the carrier should be, of course, punished and also, return every single penny the customer has payed up to that point in his contract, since the terms were not followed by the company.

I'm sick of people always being the victims of "security measures", scrutinized and humiliated by authorities and at the same time noone paying attention to organizations that really do have the power to do major damage to our society.

theconsolegamer

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
[citation][nom]fixxxer113[/nom]If the lawmakers want to protect us from practices like that, they should pass a new law that says that if a carrier has done anything - and i mean ANYTHING - on their hardware or software that is not written in the agreement that is signed by the customer (i.e. "we might spy on you") and so the customer is not aware of it to begin with, then the carrier should be, of course, punished and also, return every single penny the customer has payed up to that point in his contract, since the terms were not followed by the company.I'm sick of people always being the victims of "security measures", scrutinized and humiliated by authorities and at the same time noone paying attention to organizations that really do have the power to do major damage to our society.[/citation]Truer words have never been spoken.

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
how about the networks use their own in house software to collect anonymous data to be used to help benchmark their user's experience rather than relying on a 3rd party application with apparently does not sit well with the user, and can apparently be used in bad ways.

happyballz

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
Just another politician milking the situation for his benefit. Get lost loser we know you are no better than any of your corrupt tax-wasting buddies.

happyballz

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
[citation][nom]Kami3k[/nom]You would have to be a idiot, or a corporate drone, to not be for net neutrality.[/citation]
Same as you have to be an idiot if you actually believe that net neutrality will protect you from anything... if you would have actually read the final amended version you would have realized that - it's useless at this point, all big cell carrier companies and their lobbyists put loopholes through it like no tomorrow, it holds no real benefit to consumers anymore. Lobbyists don't sleep.

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
The real problem with this software is that while the carriers may profess to choose not to use CarrierIQ to retrieve any customers' data, who is to say that one bad seed employee with a carrier, who happens to have access to the software controls and uploads, won't use it to do anything he chooses with impugnity? All they would have to do is send a brief update that downloaded a bit of listener and control software to the phone (which is probably already there to begin with, btw), and it's peeping tom heaven.

Remember that Pennsylvania school that used iMacs to record video of high school students in their homes, without their knowledge? Yeah, the one where the head of IT was bragging about her ability to see pics of the students. That one.

Got tape over your phone camera yet?

hoof_hearted

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Whether Carrier IQ trasnmitted or even saved the data doesn't reaaly matter. The fact that they had a keylogger that was capable of capturing SSL encrypted data such as passwords and credit card numbers means that they should fry. This just adds a gaping vulnerability that any hacker and his mother will be salivating over.

thrasher32

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2007
[citation][nom]jellico[/nom]Yeah, really. Can you believe that ass-clown is a US Senator?! I mean, to be sure, I'm sick of all the lawyers and their ilk in public office; but I think we could do better than this buffoon![/citation]

This is a board for intelligent people, you so-called "conservatives" should go elsewhere.

hythos

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
Where's the "DUH"? Of course they're 'snooping' info; how else would they know the traffic conditions on virtually ANY road? Providers can know the location and traffic-speed, and the the road's traffic density based on their subscribers' location; In the case of AT&T, that data gets fed back to Google for their traffic-function. Stored with Google as "anonymous" data.... Yeah, right.. Gov conspiracy? No, it's just a Google thing.

I've always felt that tel-com companies are criminal organizations.
Constantly "double dipping" (both parties get charged for text-messaging and calls)
The gratuitous "1-second" compensation (being charged 2 minutes for a 61-second call)
"Send-to-End" charges 1-minute, even if the call is interrupted before the destination answers

BTW, you 99% - who provided you with your worshipped apple products and iPhones (or Android)? Google/Apple/AT&T(largely)

G

For the people denigrating Al Franken as an 'ass clown' and comedian (which i think he would actually like), here's a piece of his bio:
Franken graduated in 1969 from The Blake School, where he was on the wrestling team. He attended Harvard College and graduated with an A.B. cum laude in 1973 in political science.[9]

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
[citation][nom]fixxxer113[/nom]If the lawmakers want to protect us from practices like that, they should pass a new law that says that if a carrier has done anything - and i mean ANYTHING - on their hardware or software that is not written in the agreement that is signed by the customer (i.e. "we might spy on you") and so the customer is not aware of it to begin with, then the carrier should be, of course, punished and also, return every single penny the customer has payed up to that point in his contract, since the terms were not followed by the company.I'm sick of people always being the victims of "security measures", scrutinized and humiliated by authorities and at the same time noone paying attention to organizations that really do have the power to do major damage to our society.[/citation]
Figure they've been doing it since ever. It's not something that begun with IQ. Proving whether they sell the data or not is out of our hands because they don't really need that crapware installed to gather all data they'll ever want. Then how is one to prove in court it actually happened? What's the point of legislation that may not be enforced?

Status
Not open for further replies.