Sending video (easy and quick)

rcfant89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
I need an app that will let me send a video (~12 MB). When the person gets the video, they should just click play and watch it. No "go to this site and download it" like dropbox, kicksend, etc. And I have the video already shot so it has to be able to send videos from your camera and not videos you have to shoot and send immediately like snapchat. Thanks.

Solution
If I set up an FTP server, and allowed that traffic through my firewall(s), I could send you a link to a file. You would then click on the link sent, and 'download' it in order to see it.

Or, you could set up a FTP server, and allow me or anyone to upload files for you to view.

Somewhere....there is an upload and download involved.

USAFRet

Illustrious
I don't believe this exists. Or can exist.

Your video has to exist in at least two places. Your system, and the recipients system. Or possibly an intermediary like dropbox.

So....you could send it via email. Most email services and clients will have a problem with a 12MB file size.

You could send a link to an FTP server...but then you run afoul of your requirement " No "go to this site and download it""

How is the file, video or otherwise, supposed to be transferred from your system to the recipient, without an intermediary service, or direct connection?
A some point, the actual 12MB data has to be downloaded to their PC to be able to be shown/rendered.

rcfant89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
I'm not sure how exactly it works anyway. If I send you a picture or a 1 second video, it's a direct link right? Or is it hosted on verizon's servers? I would think it would be the same exact way, just a larger file.

USAFRet

Illustrious

If I send you a picture, it exists on my PC, then my email provider, then your email provider, then download to your PC. It is not a direct link.

If not via email, then there has to be either some intermediary host, or a direct connection between you and me.

USAFRet

Illustrious
If I set up an FTP server, and allowed that traffic through my firewall(s), I could send you a link to a file. You would then click on the link sent, and 'download' it in order to see it.

Or, you could set up a FTP server, and allow me or anyone to upload files for you to view.

Somewhere....there is an upload and download involved.

Solution

rcfant89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
Thanks for your replies USAF. I believe I have found a good, quick and easy way. I was using Chomp for my texting app and there is a "SETTINGS" button. Then "SMS & MMS Network Settings". Then "SEND SIZE LIMIT". It was set to either 1 MB or 2MB but I changed it to "No limit". It says "Be aware that your mobile carrier may reject MMS messages if this value is too large" so we will have to see. I am on Verizon and I have an unlimited data plan so the only question is how large can VZ handle. I just sent a ~12 MB video that I was previously unable to send so it all looks good but I am still waiting for a reply from the recipient that it worked OK. Anyway, hope it helps others and thanks again.