Sennheiser Audio Amplifier

cctaylor88

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2010
First of all I'm not audiophile and this is all very new to me.

Posting here for now as my submission to audiophile was auto banned for asking about headphones?

This question is for use with a desktop PC

The exact item in question is linked here Sennheiser GSX 1200 PRO Gaming Audio Amplifier

My current setup consists of two Mackie CR3 "multimedia" Speakers now, if I want to utilize headphones at my PC I simply plug the aux jack directly into the Mackie Speakers.

Really I'd like to step up my audio game in the easiest manner possible. I'm just wanting to know in an ELI5 manner how exactly/can I even use the Sennheiser Audio Amp? Would this amp connect to my Mackies Speakers? Would this amp connect to my motherboard? What are the connections like etc?

Would it make a noticeable difference?

Do I need specific headphones that support "7.1 surround sound"

Anything you can offer is greatly appreciated. Yes I know this is targeted towards "gamers" and I'm sure there are better options out there. Please feel free to link/suggest anything you'd like! This is the absolute ceiling (price point) though.

Solution
not really my forté to be honest.

the Logitechs might profit off the AMP, the Bose probably wouldn't (depending on their wireless connector)
from the tests I've read the GSX1000 is a pretty nice AMP in the 120-160$ price range (plus Sennheiser tax, plus virtualization makes the price alright I guess), from the top of my head I don't know any other AMPs with micro input that would be a better buy for the same price. but as said, not really my forté

Isokolon

Commendable
Jul 24, 2016
the Sennheiser AMP connects to your mainboard via USB. all other devices (headphones, speakers) to the AMP
generally the 1200 PRO isn't really worth it over the 1000 unless you got an e-sports team and everyone got one and you're heading to LANs.
the 7.1 sound is virtual and created by the Sennheiser AMP,. you can just use stereo headphones, the AMP will add a 7.1 surround feeling to it in theory.

generally, I doubt this amp will make much of a difference, also it's more a virtualization device than a real amp (although quality seems to be alright)
you much likely would profit way more off better headphones (depending on the ones you currently own)

cctaylor88

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2010

I own quite a few pairs of entry level headphones with active noise cancelling (game in close proximity to others) so I have the Bose QC125s Studio Wireless Beats and a pair of Logitech G933 (worn once, hate em, waste of $100). So I know I could step up my headphone game but I also thought a DAC would be nice. I like the features of this Sennheiser a ton.

When you say "mainboard via USB" do you mean the mobo? Besides headphones do you have an entry level DAC/AMP you recommend that also offers mic input like this GSX1000?

Isokolon

Commendable
Jul 24, 2016
not really my forté to be honest.

the Logitechs might profit off the AMP, the Bose probably wouldn't (depending on their wireless connector)
from the tests I've read the GSX1000 is a pretty nice AMP in the 120-160$ price range (plus Sennheiser tax, plus virtualization makes the price alright I guess), from the top of my head I don't know any other AMPs with micro input that would be a better buy for the same price. but as said, not really my forté

Solution
D

Deleted member 217926

Besides headphones do you have an entry level DAC/AMP you recommend that also offers mic input like this GSX1000?

Moving up from the Sennheiser would be a flagship soundcard like the Xonar Essence STX II or if you want an external solution the Mayflower ARC.

https://mayflowerelectronics.com/arc-overview/