Sennheiser G4ME Zero - What to get to power it right and get the most out of it?

penth0x

Estimable
Dec 27, 2015
So I'm pretty new to the wonderful world of quality sound and I've decided it's time to replace my old, ugly mobo's onboard ALC887. Mainly I'm looking at G4ME Zero, and yeah, I know I could get 518 and a modmic but I really don't want to do that, just looks ugly.

The question is: which is the better option for getting the most out of the headset between Fiio e10k (I'll plug the mic in the onboard), Xonar U7, Soundblaster Z and Xonar Phoebus Solo. Also can I get better products in this price range? I'm mainly gaming but I enjoy listening to music and watching movies.

Solution
the dragonfly is a dac/preamp and is meant to be paired either with powered speakers or an amplifier.

unless you feel like spending even more money on an amplifier, no its not worth looking at. in any case, for cheaper you could get the e10k if you went that route which will work fine for your needs.

an internal soundcard like the z would give you the most options though.
first thing to realize about the game zero (which is based on the pc363d and similar headsets) is that it is bass-light and even with a good amp will always remain bass light. while this is good in fps games as it gives advantage in hearing footsteps its not going to be punchy in terms of bass. you might know this already but i've answered at least 5-6 game zero questions regarding bass this week alone so figured i would make sure you were well aware.

the game zero on the other hand which is based on the hd598 is more neutral and will have a bit more warmth. basically the hd518/558/598 share the same drivers but sound a bit different due to design as well as having differences in build quality. if you want a hd518+modmic but find it ugly, the game one is the way to go.

what product works best depends on your preferences on virtual surround. an external dac is not going to offer virtual surround support generally while many internal soundcards do. the creative z has more than enough amplifier for them so is a great choice without breaking the bank. if you do not want an internal and do not care about virtual surround the e10k is a great choice as well. the creative omni is a decent external soundcard choice while the expensive creative e5 is also an option but is alot to spend unless you absolutely need virtual yet do not want the omni and can not use internal cards. for on the cheap the xonar dg also isnt bad but quality is only about equal to "good" onboard audio.

tldr; game zero is bass light, game one is more neutral. look at the soundblaster z for value though if on a budget even the xonar dg would work.

penth0x

Estimable
Dec 27, 2015
Thanks for the quick reply. I think I'll go with the game one with SBZ then, even though I do like the leather more on the zero, it's not really a big thing since the game one is open and much more comfy I assume so it offsets. Btw is there a noticeable difference speaking of sound quality on this headset between xonar dg and sbz? Perhaps it's a dumb question since sbz is almost 3 times more expensive than the dg, but I'm not into sound cards at all

the dragonfly is a dac/preamp and is meant to be paired either with powered speakers or an amplifier.

unless you feel like spending even more money on an amplifier, no its not worth looking at. in any case, for cheaper you could get the e10k if you went that route which will work fine for your needs.

an internal soundcard like the z would give you the most options though.

Solution