Sennheiser HD 518 48v Phantom Power

Nathaniel_9

Estimable
Dec 28, 2015
I am currently connecting my Sennheiser HD 518 headphones to my computer via a Focusrite Scarlett Solo. My question is whether or not I can/should enable the 48 volt phantom power option. I understand some electronics may be damaged doing this. I assume the Sennheisers are perfectly capable of accepting phantom power and probably function optimally with it. Are they not receiving any additional power just being hooked up to the amp?

Thanks!

Solution
No I'm saying that phantom power had nothing to do with headphones at all, only microphones.

Headphones Amos can provide more watts of power, and thus drive headphones that can handle that amount if power. Good ones will have a lower noise floor and less static, especially at higher volumes. Ones provided with a digital source will have good DACs in them to convert the signal better from digital to analog.

Nathaniel_9

Estimable
Dec 28, 2015

Thanks for the reply! Certainly you aren't saying that all power sources for headphones are essentially the same, are you? What then are so-called "headphone amps" for? If so, am I understanding correctly then that the only potential benefit to plugging my headphones into an audio interface is a decrease in interference?

No I'm saying that phantom power had nothing to do with headphones at all, only microphones.

Headphones Amos can provide more watts of power, and thus drive headphones that can handle that amount if power. Good ones will have a lower noise floor and less static, especially at higher volumes. Ones provided with a digital source will have good DACs in them to convert the signal better from digital to analog.

Solution