Separate Audio output...

prasun808

Honorable
Mar 21, 2013
Hi Everyone, I'm using a graphics card in my desktop pc and from the graphics card sending the audio-video output (using a HDMI cable) to my LED TV and watching the TV as well as monitor display sweeping the input source. Now, can I get a separate audio output for my 5.1 channel home theater from this computer using a sound card into it?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
You can install a 5.1 capable sound card (or use your on-board audio) and then set it as the default output device and connect it to a set of 5.1 speakers.

What make and model of home theater system are you using? That will determine the cable type required to connect your sound source to it.

Coastworks

Honorable
Mar 21, 2013

If you have an optical output on your TV connect it to an optical input on your surround system. The signal from the PC is digital through the HDMI connection and should pass through to your 5.1 system in the same digital format. If the signal from your PC is encoded with Dolby, DTS, etc your AVR should decode it. I have a MacMini connected this way to a Samsung TV that is feeding to an old Harman Kardon 525 AVR and it works perfectly.