Serial Port Performance

notquitehere188

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
My robotics team needs to purchase a laptop which can run windows XP and has a serial port.
Dell laptops seem like a good deal, but we need to be sure of the performance of the serial port
When uploading code with a native serial port on our old laptop, it took <1min, but using a usb to serial adapter on another computer it took >30 mins. Will the serial port on the dell laptop port replicator be fast or slow, because we upload code often enough that we need it to be fast
and is there a laptop manufacturer that has native serial ports on their laptops if the dell is slow

Nitro350Z

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
If it can help you, the dell I have (custom C800) has a good serial port, it has perfect voltages and never gives me any errors when working one certain mobos.

If anything, make sure you correctly configure the serial port (in the device manage), that might be the cause of the slow transfers

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
My Executioner has a serial port on it, I NEVER thought anyone would need it. How do I test the speed for you to see if it is at a level that is what you need?

notquitehere188

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
lol, i really wish we could get away with getting an executioner, but the robotics team is on a tight budget
(we were hoping the port replicator would work so we could get the free x1400 with the inspirons)

C800 eh? so i assume the serial port i spotted on the back of the D520 would also work well?

Nitro350Z

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
I'm not familliar with the other models, but I'm guessing that it should work similarily to the one no mine.

notquitehere188

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
i also wish it was one of the fighting robots. but its the FIRST robotics orgaization. for high schools. Ramming form too far away is not even allowed.
the best we got was when we used a hook on our robot to (illegally) pull over another robot