Server/s (OS's) & Thin Clients

pesta

Estimable
Mar 1, 2014
After reading what choucove so eloquently described the requirement to build an adequate server/s to handle 15-30 clients; I realized that I too in need of help here as well to transition from your basic windows 2003 file server into more robust thin client server.
Here is what we have at the moment and I hope some of you maven/s (expert/s) can help me out with some direction.
All 16 desktops are running windows xp sp3, MS office pro 2007, Act! 2009 premium, Quickbooks 2011 with added modules to help convert files into excel files ….
MS office 2007 pro they are mainly using it for outlook, excel, word and powerpoint.
Act! 2009 premium for contact database
Quickbooks 2011 accounting, banking and inventory.
SQL server for both Act! And quickbooks.
I’m an old unix user for so many years, alas, I saw the changes and I realized you to offer people what they feel comfortable with not what I feel comfortable with.
Hardware I have.
3x Dell R410 doul CPU’s 32GB ram, 4x 4TB sata HDD. OS’s I can go either way unix or windows
If I go unix I need to find a way that will replace MS office, quickbooks, and Act with!
Mail I think Eudora will do, openoffice might but people have an aversion to change and learning new application/s.
So I’m open to all suggestion of any type to help set me free at last.
Less dependent on the mercy on the software companies and their relentless invoicing is so helpful.
Open source is good too.
Thank you all
Raymond

RaDiKaL_

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
Not sure what you're exactly asking for, which OS to use to the thin clients? if you already have the XP and Office licenses, and if your staff is used to microsoft... like you said, better give them what they feel comfortable with so go ahead with windows.

pesta

Estimable
Mar 1, 2014
I looking for a solution if I went with a unix flavor what can I replace Quickbooks, Act and MS office with!!!! Dilemma.
I know MS products is one solution but it's for the long run is not viable price-wise and the trend I see that MS is slowly going the cloud direction and prices are too high. what I really need a robust database not oracle something similar and reasonable. Accounting software that will replace quickbooks. Me think about options to weigh.
by the way thank you so much for the prompt response.