Setting SD card as default for apps Galaxy s5

ddepompei

Estimable
Sep 24, 2015
The link posted previously does not provide a solution.

Why is android so weird about letting you download to the SD card. Seems you have to root your phone to do it.

Is there something Android programs into phones that essentially spys and keeps track of everything and thats why they force you to download to internal storage?

You cant even move apps to an SD card, you can move parts of an app but most of it stays behind. Not only that but some apps DOUBLE in size after moving to SD. makes no sense! Just let me buy an SD card and actually use it!

Is there something Android is hiding from us? Why else would they care what goes on an SD card. If I wanted no control over my device I'd buy Apple.

parita

Estimable
Dec 28, 2015
I used a way to store the apps into SD card. It doesn't directly store apps in SD card when downloaded from playstore. But you can transfer it later, after downloading, using this method.

1. Open Settings
2. Open Application Manager
3. From the downloaded apps, click on the app that you want to transfer to SD card.
4. You can see an button which says, Move to SD card there. Click on that and wait for the process to get finished.
5. Done!

I am still looking for a way to change my settings to store downloaded apps into SD card directly. Till then, this way helps!
Hope this helped!

-Parita

jennywatson655

Estimable
Dec 15, 2015
Although I have shifted the storage from phone to SD card but still I am getting the issue related to storage. Buy here the simple way to move your storage from to SD card first go to setting then scroll down and there will be an option names Storage and etc. Just click on that option and there you will see 2 options like which storage option is on either phone or SD card. If the option is selected to Phone, then move to SD card from phone. That's all

Axllebeer

Estimable
Jan 11, 2016

The best way I have found to do this is use the Samsung Internet browser. There is the option to change to the SD card in the settings of the browser.

It doesn't let you choose where on the card. But that's better than nothing and doesn't require anything fancy.

Flicked via the BlackBerry Keyboard on my S5

SecludedBalloon

Estimable
Jan 22, 2016

They put themselves back into internal memory when updated.

jahnderd

Commendable
Jun 29, 2016
Yeah, this is an annoying feature of Android, with only partial solutions, since updated apps go back to Device Memory.

Here's the path to the option you need:
Settings => Internet => Advanced => Content settings => Default storage => SD card

I'm about to install the new OS update, so who knows where it'll be after that (currently running 5.0).

arthro

Commendable
Sep 17, 2016

I just upgraded to 6 and it will no longer move apps at all.

Junkstats

Commendable
Sep 26, 2016
Is [Settings => Internet => Advanced => Content settings => Default storage => SD card] only available if you use Samsung Internet Browser?? If not, how would one go about changing such settings?

Sharnross

Commendable
Oct 1, 2016
Well I tried all the above to no joy but through playing around discovered how easy it really is.
Go to settings ==>Nearby Devices==>Download to==>the select where you want to store to

jahnderd

Commendable
Jun 29, 2016

The settings should work for downloads from the Internet, regardless of whether you connect to the Internet via Play or a browser. It won't work with apps that are engineered to download to and operate from the phone's internal storage exclusively.

twinsmom

Commendable
Nov 10, 2016

I hate when people respond and it's doesn't coincide with the phone they're referring to in the question. There is no Settings=>Internet on my S5

ManilaJay

Commendable
Nov 19, 2016
Have no solution to offer. Am having the same problem.

I'm using a Samsung J7 Prime using Marshmallow and the video on toms guide is not applicable to this phone/OS.

I've found some resources on howtogeek.com but I'm not sure if I'm just not understanding the instructions.

https://www.google.com.ph/amp/www.howtogeek.com/202644/how-to-manage-files-and-use-the-file-system-on-android/amp/?client=ms-android-samsung

https://www.google.com.ph/amp/www.howtogeek.com/114667/how-to-install-android-apps-to-the-sd-card-by-default-move-almost-any-app-to-the-sd-card/amp/?client=ms-android-samsung

ScriptKiddie

Commendable
Dec 8, 2016
Again, as many have already said, auto storage to your SD card is dependent on your device. My s5 for instance won't allow it. Using the application manager still works to let you move files over from downloads which will move the app in its entirety.
On a side note, if you are still getting that error about memory, go to settings and find Storage and clear out your App Data Cache. Even though the apps boot from the SD card the data still stores in the phones cache which incidentally does take up hard disk, and I use the word loosely, space. Clearing the cache can clear up to a few gigs of data, especially if you frequently download apps to try out.