Setting up a 5.1 System [HELP!!]

Shawn Patel

Estimable
Aug 10, 2015
So I was looking to get a 5.1 surround sound set, was looking at Logitech z906. I searched out the internet and it seems like setting one up is more complicated than it seems. My current speakers just use Aux into my pc.
I have my own custom built PC, the motherboard is Gigabyte UD3P.
It has CTR Bass, rear and front input. SPDIF too, along with 2 separate USB inputs and next to it is a green and purple pin input, forgot what that kind of wire is called, it has a circular head.

My system runs realtek which I heard can only output 2.1 and I need to do something to have it run 5.1. I also have the Logitech software for my mouse and headset. Maybe if I connect the Logitech speakers it will let me mess around in the software?

Please let me know what I need to do to properly run these speakers on my pc.

Details:
Motherboard: Gigabyte UD3P
Audio: Realtek.

Also if there's any way to switch the audio from pc to xbox and back that would be awesome.

boju

Distinguished
Which model motherboard and xbox?

Trouble with optical in windows is sound by default is 2.1 uncompressed. Dts and Dolby compression can be used in movies but games no. Best to keep your pc analog which means getting a sound card.

Your xbox if you can switch sound to optical will allow it to compress the audio to 5.1 over optical.

Then all you need to do is switch the logitech over to the input source.