Shift Key Struggles

Victorianne

Commendable
Dec 2, 2016
My Lenovo G50 laptop worked fine when I first got it, but it's been through a lot in its short life. It's screen has been shattered and replaced. It has been reimaged a couple of times.

After my screen was repaired, I noticed that I was typing in "rAndOm CaPITals" an that all of my number keys only typed !@#$% etc. When I clicked on anything, the whole list/page would highlight. And to top it off, my number pad is not functioning.

I have tried disabling sticky keys, filter keys, all the accessibility stuff. I reimaged the machine to Windows 7 and the problem remained. I have reinstalled drivers, switched off hotkeys in the bios, tried everything I could think of. Using a USB keyboard/mouse makes no difference.

I have a sneaking suspicion that it's a hardware issue, but I don't want to believe it. I decided to have sticky keys alert me with a text box whenever my shift key was pressed five times, and the box appears with disturbing regularity. Does this mean I should just unscrew my shift keys and be done with it?

Edit: I did rip the shift keys off. It didn't do anything and it was difficult to reattach them.

Solution
When you did the reinstall of the driver for the keyboard, did you uninstall it, then turn off the computer without reinstalling it and when it reloads it reinstalled it on its own? If not following those steps it can make the change not work correctly.

Another option is it is possible the if the work was done through the manufacturer, the laptop could have been sent to another part of the world to be fixed. In this case, the keyboard language could also have been changed, making keys show up differently.

If it isn't either of those, then I am with you, it needs a new keyboard.
When you did the reinstall of the driver for the keyboard, did you uninstall it, then turn off the computer without reinstalling it and when it reloads it reinstalled it on its own? If not following those steps it can make the change not work correctly.

Another option is it is possible the if the work was done through the manufacturer, the laptop could have been sent to another part of the world to be fixed. In this case, the keyboard language could also have been changed, making keys show up differently.

If it isn't either of those, then I am with you, it needs a new keyboard.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS