Should I bother looking at "Gaming Laptops"?

MightyQuinn

Estimable
Dec 2, 2014
I'm looking to get a laptop for general use, but I admit I will be doing some gaming. My issue is I'm unsure if I actually need a gaming laptop, and how much it being geared towards "Gaming" actually affects the price tag. I'm aware that certain games use more of the CPU than the GPU and vise versa, so I'm assuming a gaming laptop focuses on GPU aspects, but for these games could I get away with low settings on a standard laptop with just integrated graphics?

Team Fortress 2 (Low settings is fine)
Civ 5 (Again, low is fine)
Indie 2D games (I play a lot of them, I'm unsure if newer ones or older ones are generally more gpu or cpu intensive or not. Binding of Isaac Rebirth is a big one for me)

I'm looking in a range of about $700. Should I focus more on things like HDD space than graphic capabilities? I'm really looking for this for school, light gaming and occasional video editing. Watching shows in 1080p is always nice too, but I have a nice monitor laying around if it came to it for that, I'm just unsure how laptops generally go about their displays in regards to their gpu processing.

Solution
Consider this.

http://store.hp.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ConfigureView?storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&catEntryId=640651&quantity=1

I would say upgrade the CPU to get the nvidia GPU. Overall its gonna cost like $660 before taxes. If you want get the larger HDD to 1 TB if you work with larger files. Overall its got a good balance of specs for a decent price.

If you don't like HP, thats fine, just use this as a reference, if you find a laptop for $700 and it doesn't have at least 8 GB RAM, 1 TB, a GT 840M and an i5-4210U, than its not worth it. If you find something that has the same specs but costs more, than they are overpriced.

Personally, while I can't say that I've NEVER had an issue with HPs (then again I can't say...

Warukyure

Estimable
Consider this.

http://store.hp.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ConfigureView?storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&catEntryId=640651&quantity=1

I would say upgrade the CPU to get the nvidia GPU. Overall its gonna cost like $660 before taxes. If you want get the larger HDD to 1 TB if you work with larger files. Overall its got a good balance of specs for a decent price.

If you don't like HP, thats fine, just use this as a reference, if you find a laptop for $700 and it doesn't have at least 8 GB RAM, 1 TB, a GT 840M and an i5-4210U, than its not worth it. If you find something that has the same specs but costs more, than they are overpriced.

Personally, while I can't say that I've NEVER had an issue with HPs (then again I can't say I've never had an issue with ANY laptop) for what this has now and its price, its kinda hard to beat. And besides, theres always that year of warranty.

Solution