Should I buy a Asus G751JY?

shameers_i

Commendable
Apr 14, 2016
This question is kind of repeated but I couldn't get an exact answer for it, coz of my particular situation.
I live in Sri-Lanka and there are not many options when it comes to gaming laptops. There are a few MSI laptops but all with 2GB GPUs and I am looking for 4GB and above. So I looked around and I have the option of buying one of two ROGs. The G751 and the G752

The specs of the models are as follows

G751JY - i7 4750HQ at 2.0 GHz, 16GB RAM, 4GB GTX 980m, 240GB SSD, 1TB HDD

G752 - i7 6700HQ at 2.6 GHz, 16GB RAM, 4GB GTX 980m, 120GB SSD, 1 TB HDD

As I see, the 751 has a better processor even though the clock speed is lower. Where as the 752 has a newer processor.
Which should I choose?
And will 4GB graphics memory be enough in the future or should I hold on untill I find a 6GB or 8GB model?
P.S:- My priority is gaming and mobility. So a desktop is out of the question.

Solution
As an aside, determining how much VRAM a game needs isn't necessarily straight forward. Simply looking at VRAM usage in something like Afterburner isn't really accurate. A game may try and load as many things as it can into VRAM if there's extra space, but that doesn't mean that it needs that much, or that performance will be noticeably affected if you have less. As you can see here, there is still little difference between 2 and 4 GB of VRAM in most games at 1080p: http://www.techspot.com/review/1114-vram-comparison-test/

shameers_i

Commendable
Apr 14, 2016

Hey thanks for the reply. Check this link

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-6700HQ-vs-Intel-Core-i7-4750HQ

I've given you the stock specs. The store gave me.
There is a 8GB G752 on the market. But quite expensive.
The 751 is cheaper.
And what I really want to know is that is 4GB enough or should I go for the 8GB if I can afford it?

shameers_i

Commendable
Apr 14, 2016

Yeah. I thought so too. Even the GTX 980 desktop GPU comes with 4GB standard. My older laptop had 2GB graphics memory and when I tried to lower the graphics to the minimum in AC Unity (i think), still it topped 2GB. And I wanted to avoid that happening again coz I already am spending so much money on a laptop.
Thanks for the reply.

TJ Hooker

Honorable
Apr 15, 2014
As an aside, determining how much VRAM a game needs isn't necessarily straight forward. Simply looking at VRAM usage in something like Afterburner isn't really accurate. A game may try and load as many things as it can into VRAM if there's extra space, but that doesn't mean that it needs that much, or that performance will be noticeably affected if you have less. As you can see here, there is still little difference between 2 and 4 GB of VRAM in most games at 1080p: http://www.techspot.com/review/1114-vram-comparison-test/

Solution

shameers_i

Commendable
Apr 14, 2016

Thanks a lot! I think I will go for the G751JY. The reason I was holding off buying one was because I wasn't sure how much VRAM I would need. This does clear so much of the doubts I had. Thanks again.