Should I buy a budget or expensive laptop?

omnipresent

Estimable
May 19, 2015
I have a pretty powerful desktop computer that can run pretty much everything I could want it to. However, for college i need something portable I can take with me: a laptop. However, I am unsure of what to get.

It would be awesome to get something pretty powerful (i5, 8gb of RAM) that could run pretty muh everything I need. However I will have some computers available to me at school which will do that stuff.

I am also thinking of just getting a chromebook to do some simple tasks and using a school computer if I can't wait until I get home.

So, do you think it would be worth it to drop a large sum on a powerful laptop that will obviously be useful, but maybe not used as much as in other situations? Or do you think it would be better to save the cash and just deal with not always being able to work on projects on my laptop?

Thanks for any input!

Solution
I dunno it just feel to me that a chromebook would do all he wanted to do for a good $500 or likely less. If he has the money to spend I guess it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world but he would want to get his money's worth out of it and I just think that he wont use it to it's full capabilities.

Suxces

Estimable
Jul 25, 2015
Perhaps you should starting to think on your own. No one really knows what you need and you are the only one who can make this decision. Take your life in your hands and make the best of it!

sna

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010

get a light notebook or your shoulders will hate you.

maximum of 1.5 KG.

and make sure it has IPS screen or your eyes will hate you ...

I would pick up 13 inch Mac book pro Retina display.

Gracodana

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013

apple(shudders violently), I would say that if you have access to pc's around the place and always will have your desktop then a chromebook is really not a bad idea. I won one from a toms compition and I was quite impressed.

sna

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010

lol , Apple is the best built notebook around for both battery life and weight and performance.

Gracodana

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013
I dunno it just feel to me that a chromebook would do all he wanted to do for a good $500 or likely less. If he has the money to spend I guess it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world but he would want to get his money's worth out of it and I just think that he wont use it to it's full capabilities.

Solution

omnipresent

Estimable
May 19, 2015

Well obviously I have considered the situation. I am simply asking for some input from others; sometimes when other people comment on a situation, one might realize something he/she hadn't previously.

So since I came here asking this question, I'm pretty sure it's safe to assume I wasn't looking for a "think for yourself" answer...

Gracodana

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013

Very true sorry that was a bit of a pointless use of words.

With a chrome book you get basic usability and functions. Just for surfing the web and watching video's this is fine, maybe a few flash games too. I don't know what work exactly you are doing and how often you would have access to your home desktop but if you have it where you are staying and you just have to use this during the day then this has very good battery life. Also what exactly are you doing course wise that might sway the choice as different programs sometimes favour different hardware.

With a mac you will basically get just a normal laptop, if the programs you use work well with make then this might be a good option.

sna

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010

There exist a cheap notebooks with ips screen and i3 cpu if you want a budget solution... getting chromebook is a bad idea.

a good example is the Lenovo Flex 2 14 inch

full HD IPS touch screen and i3 CPU

I got one for $550

imrazor

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
I just want to chime in on the Apple suggestion. I've owned a number of Apple desktops and laptops over the years, and I have to say I can't really recommend them. The laptop I had had major overheating problems, as does the iMac I still own. Macs are not built for gaming has a good chance of overheating. A Mac Pro might be an exception to this rule.

To really help you out we need to know what you want to use the laptop for. If you'll be taking your desktop with you to your dorm, then you can use that when you want to game. If however, you'll have to leave your desktop behind you at home, then you will want a gaming laptop that you can use at college. Most colleges don't invest in PCs with a powerful GPU, so the machines in the computer labs probably won't be suitable for gaming (unless maybe they're engineering workstations.) The Chromebook might be a suitable option if you'll have your desktop available for gaming.

Gracodana

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013

That would be a good option I would say but just out of curiosity why don't you like chromebooks?

Gracodana

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013

Correct me if i'm wrong but wouldn't they be using quadro's in engineering?

omnipresent

Estimable
May 19, 2015

Yea. I have decided to go with a chromebook since I don't think I will get my full monies worth with a Mac or more expensive PC. I respect what those systems do, but I they don't fit into my budget.

Thanks for the responses everyone.

sna

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010

because non of them are built with good components. at least an IPS screen which is VERY important for notebooks. TN panels on notebooks suck. just tilt the screen a little and the colors are garbage.

if you can find me a Chrombook with IPS screen I will consider it.

Gracodana

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013

http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-CB35-B3340-Chromebook-Celeron-HD-Screen/dp/B00N99FXIS?psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAJM4NKIQGABP2PIRA&tag=thewire06-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00N99FXIS&ascsubtag=WC28474

I think you don't have a problem with chrombooks just TN panels.

sna

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010

nice :) things are improving.