Should I Buy a Cooling Pad for ASUS X550J?

GeorgiK

Commendable
Dec 6, 2016
Hello,

My brother will soon have a birthday and I want to make a little present to him.

He owns a ASUS X550J but recently it started overheating and the fps in some games (CS:GO f.e.) dropped to twice.

I wonder if a cooliping pad will help with the overheating since the area of the laptop fan is quite small.

Here's a pic how the laptop fan looks:

subir fotos

Solution
Not sure what you mean by cooling pad, but there's the boards out there with fans installed, that you connect via USB or something and it allows extra cooling for laptops/gaming laptops, which is what I'm guessing you mean.

That is one, very nice looking laptop though.

I do have a friend that owns a cooling pad (Searched it and it is what I thought) and it used to sound like his laptop was a plane and was taking off, but now it doesn't even do that, so it would help if you get one with the correct fan locations for the laptop.

xFeaRDom

Commendable
Jul 28, 2016
Not sure what you mean by cooling pad, but there's the boards out there with fans installed, that you connect via USB or something and it allows extra cooling for laptops/gaming laptops, which is what I'm guessing you mean.

That is one, very nice looking laptop though.

I do have a friend that owns a cooling pad (Searched it and it is what I thought) and it used to sound like his laptop was a plane and was taking off, but now it doesn't even do that, so it would help if you get one with the correct fan locations for the laptop.

Solution

GeorgiK

Commendable
Dec 6, 2016

Thank you for the comment.

You're absolutely right. If I opt in purchasing a cooling pad it should be with where exactly the fans are located.

However, I did some search on my own since I submitted this thread and found out the problem with constant overheating might be due to a need to change the thermal paste.

So I guess this could be my birthday present for him, bring the laptop back to its optimum state.

P.S - this is a random picture on the Net I found for a different model but almost identical to my brother's.

xFeaRDom

Commendable
Jul 28, 2016

Ahh, fair enough. It could be to do with the thermal paste, but why not try that after some extra cooling power? :)