Should I Buy a Lenovo Y50?

Stingy

Estimable
Oct 7, 2014
I was planning on buying this laptop, and I was curious if that is the right choice or if there are any other options that would be a better decision than this one. Thanks.

P.S. I am looking for a decent schoolwork/gaming laptop.

Solution

Greetings Stingy:

If you need "a decent schoolwork/gaming laptop", the Y50 is difficult to beat. Most of the rivals, e.g. HP, Acer and Dell, consistently cost more with similar specs. Currently, you can get Lenovo Y50 UHDs for $1100 (starting price).

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/y-series/y50-uhd/

My own Y50 TN so far handles anything I throw at it without problems, i.e. standard productivity apps and all mid-end games. But with high-end games like GTA V, Tomb Raider or Shadows...

Greetings Stingy:

If you need "a decent schoolwork/gaming laptop", the Y50 is difficult to beat. Most of the rivals, e.g. HP, Acer and Dell, consistently cost more with similar specs. Currently, you can get Lenovo Y50 UHDs for $1100 (starting price).

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/y-series/y50-uhd/

My own Y50 TN so far handles anything I throw at it without problems, i.e. standard productivity apps and all mid-end games. But with high-end games like GTA V, Tomb Raider or Shadows of Mordor, the Y50 will struggle to keep up. It is possible to play these games, but you need to compromise in the settings menu. In this case, you're better off with a dedicated gaming laptop, e.g. an ASUS ROG or the MSI line-up - but that's a different budget range!

If you're willing to spend $1100 to $1200, the Y50 UHD will prove to be a very capable and stylish multi-tasker with 2GB to 4GB of graphics to handle most games. The UHD screen itself won't do much for your gaming experience, but it will be a great improvement for all other activities compared to TN screens.

NOTE Some pet peeves lodged by users on various sites:
- Battery life is below average and the battery itself heats up quite noticeably. Don't put it in your lap!
- All surfaces (outer covers and inner keyboard/palm rest) attract and retain fingerprints to an annoying degree. A cosmetic issue, of course, but you'll need to wipe the laptop with a damp cloth every other day.
- The Y50 is a bit heavier than its rivals.
- The standard TN screen is very below-average, almost to the point of being useless for a mobile device. Make sure you opt for an UHD screen.

Best of luck,
GreyCatz.

Solution

Stingy

Estimable
Oct 7, 2014

Hey GreyCatz!

It's a while but I have settled on a MSI Apache-264 GE72 bundle from Newegg which so far has been very satisfactory. Thank you for the information though and I appreciate your assistance in my purchase.