Solved! Should I buy a newer phone even if the user doesn't use all its features?

consptheory77

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
I have a friend in his 70's that I bought a Samsung Galaxy S4 (circa 2014) last year to use with his budget phone plan, and it appears to have stopped working, so I got him a e Moto 6 (a budget phone for a budget plan, to be sure, but the latest budget phone) and he is pleased with it as the call and video call quality are both improved.

In a similar vein, I have a Galaxy S7 that I use on the same budget plan, and it works fine, but my mother has some kind of budget Samsung phone the carrier says has "cold flash" (?) which I guess is their term for the fact that data and calls do not go through anymore she only gets calls through the wifi calling function, I think. So I need to get her a new phone. I was thinking about handing her down my S7, but maybe I should get her a new one. I've talked to her about switching to the T-Mobile plan for seniors as well, so maybe a T-Mobile branded phone with 5G would be best? But she doesn't use much beyond the phone part of the phone, should I stick with the e Moto level of things?

Solution
Only you and her can determine what type of phone she needs. If she is not concerned about gaming speed or camera quality much than a cheaper phone is just fine. I would not worry about 5G at all, it's not widely available and while it has benefits, I doubt she would use any features that need faster speeds. The S7 is not a bad phone, only thing you need to watch for it the battery life and any end of life updates it may stop getting.
Only you and her can determine what type of phone she needs. If she is not concerned about gaming speed or camera quality much than a cheaper phone is just fine. I would not worry about 5G at all, it's not widely available and while it has benefits, I doubt she would use any features that need faster speeds. The S7 is not a bad phone, only thing you need to watch for it the battery life and any end of life updates it may stop getting.

Solution

consptheory77

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
I had this question on the Tom's Hardware forum until they deleted it after informing me that Tom's Guide had a forum too, and that was the appropriate venue for this question. The upshot of the discussion there was:

• Samsung's "A" line of phones is a reliable budget brand (I knew this, I already planned to get an A70 for myself)
  • T-Mobile makes really bad phones, so don't get the Revvlry
  • Nord 10/100 is OnePlus, and they make really good phones
  • The newer a phone is, the more future proofed it is, therefore it is more logical to buy a new phone (the most reliable of any price range one can afford) than handing down one's old phone (in this case, handing down my S7 to my mother)