Should i buy laptop from US to UK?

HarryOMalley

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013
Hi all,

Im looking at buying a laptop, and i started looking at dell inspiron 7000 series and then some asus. But then the new msi gs70 stealth pro caught my eye. Well anyway ive found that i can get the laptop for around 100 to 200 pounds cheaper and aswell 2 more ssds and 6gb of ddr5 memory in the graphics card. I just want to know whether i should rosk buying from the us and have it shipped to the uk?

Thanks

Solution
Hi

If you declare it to customs they will want import tax on it.

Most likely the courier will refuse to deliver until you have paid the vat and or duty + a service charge

Look up on the details on the revenue & customs web site

check it comes with an international warantee
look at power supply to check it is easy to change the US mains plug or power cable + mains plug

If you know some one going to the states who you trust get them to buy it for you.
Use it while in US, then declare it as a second hand laptop when returning
There may still be some tax to pay but less than a new laptop

regards
Mike Barnes

mbarnes86

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Hi

If you declare it to customs they will want import tax on it.

Most likely the courier will refuse to deliver until you have paid the vat and or duty + a service charge

Look up on the details on the revenue & customs web site

check it comes with an international warantee
look at power supply to check it is easy to change the US mains plug or power cable + mains plug

If you know some one going to the states who you trust get them to buy it for you.
Use it while in US, then declare it as a second hand laptop when returning
There may still be some tax to pay but less than a new laptop

regards
Mike Barnes

Solution

HarryOMalley

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013
Thanks, Its just so annoying that they dont do the same versions of the laptop in the UK as they do in the US. In the US their models are much more powerful and cheaper! I guess ill have to look around and see what i find. :)

HarryOMalley

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013

Budget around £1400, anything just i dont want it to look like its going to invade the earth, and then gaming doing work and anything else really

TRENDING THREADS