Hello folks,

I am considering purchasing this system for $600 from a friend:

Toshiba Satellite P750-04S
 2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-2630QM processor– 2.0
GHz, Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 15.6” HD LCD,
6GB DDR3, 200 gig solid state drive, DVD Super-Multi Double
Layer, NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M, Intel 802.11 bgn,
Integrated 1.3M Web Camera, HDMI, 1Gbps LAN

I am just wondering how antiquated this system is and if it could still serve me for a few more years

Solution
The fact that it has a quad core i-7 (some of the mobile ones are only 4 core) and an SSD means it will be pretty good with average work loads and it can turbo clock itself up to 2.9Ghz depending on the work load. The GPU is decent enough for light gaming, but that unit's main issue would be with heat if you're gaming with it for a long time. I have an older laptop that's similar and if you don't keep it cool when it get's under stress the GPU can misbehave. Of course if you're main use is for gaming you're better off building a desktop with that $600. Here's what you can expect for that GPU though

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-540M.41715.0.html

DevAsFuse

Honorable
Feb 7, 2014
Probably it's good but i don't think the processor's speed is good (2.0 GHz) ??? If you wish then you can buy it or in my opinion try to buy a computer with 2.44 GHz or more... It will help you to play games in a better speed without lag...

megamanx00

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
For $600 that's an ok deal. It's got rather decent specs for a laptop. The screen resolution is a little lacking, but is fine considering the GT540 it is paired with. It will be more than enough for every day tasks.

chrisso

Honorable
Nov 17, 2013
This is a 24 to 30 month old laptop. Any Laptop's mean time to failure is 48 months.
I wouldnt pay more than $200, because you will be left nursing a grudge with a pal.

chrisso

Honorable
Nov 17, 2013
The batteries last 18 months, the power bricks a little longer.
Batteries are hard to get after 3 years.
The cpu fan will be knackered at this point but you wont know until
the mainboard is crisped. When it fails you will be stuck with it.
Buy it, if you want to lose a friend; I have seen this many times.
A friend looking to get a big lump of money back on a lap top usually isnt a friend
at all.

megamanx00

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
The fact that it has a quad core i-7 (some of the mobile ones are only 4 core) and an SSD means it will be pretty good with average work loads and it can turbo clock itself up to 2.9Ghz depending on the work load. The GPU is decent enough for light gaming, but that unit's main issue would be with heat if you're gaming with it for a long time. I have an older laptop that's similar and if you don't keep it cool when it get's under stress the GPU can misbehave. Of course if you're main use is for gaming you're better off building a desktop with that $600. Here's what you can expect for that GPU though

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-540M.41715.0.html

Solution