Should I change the MB to fix screen flicker?

Dec 25, 2018
Hi,

I have an MSI GT83VR dual GTX 1080.

1. The screen has experienced flickering after 10 months of light use. (flicker like the electric current pattern/hertz waves)
2. I brought it to MSI service center because still under warranty.
3. They changed the LCD panel one time, flicker greatly reduced but slightly present.

The flicker is light, and only visible at 50% brightness on grey background

4. Changed a 2nd time, still slightly present.
5. They compared my laptop with two other units of the same kind, they noticed that all flicker the same. They say it is inherent to how the laptop is designed, and that it's because it's a very powerful laptop, drawing a lot of power, thus having this effect on the screen.
6. MSI suggested them to replace the motherboard.
7. The service center told me that they don't think it will fix the problem, as every laptop of this kind they compared mine with, have the same flicker.

I don't especially feel comfortable having them changing the motherboard.
If the laptop can operate normally without being affected, I can live with the flicker.

Can this flicker indicate something worse under the hood, is it just the screen that is concerned?

What should I do in your view?

Your opinion matters.

Thank you for suggestions.

Dec 25, 2018
Thank you for your suggestion.

The thing that worries me is that the service shop has to take apart the MB, cooling system on the cpu and gpu's, etc. I'm afraid they don't do a perfect job of putting it back together, thermal paste application etc.
All that for something that may not fix the problem.

feelinfroggy777

Commendable
Dec 13, 2016

Can you take it to a different shop?