Should I downgrade from windows 8.1 to win 7?

efrommel

Estimable
Dec 29, 2014
Hi I just bought a Lenovo Y50-70 with very good specs but Im using an external monitor but if i close the lid the laptop changes from the nvidia graphic card to the intel. I have try a lot of settings for this and no avail. So i was thinking of going to win 7 but i havent found a iso image for win 7. But also want a clean install to get rid of all of the bloatware.

Should I make a clean install of win 8.1 or try to change to win7? I have a SSD waiting to be installed. But want to know what is best for me.

PS: If someone can input a guide to make a fresh install of win 7 after installing the ssd I will be very grateful.

I do gamming and video editing.

Solution
Win7 all the way.
Reasons :

Windows 8 is faster than Windows 7 in some aspects such as startup time, shut down time, wake up from sleep, multimedia performance, web browsers performance, transferring large file and Microsoft excel performance but it is slower in 3D graphic performance and high resolution gaming performance. Battery life improved enough to be noticeable. Moreover Windows 8 is significantly more secure than Windows 7 and it is basically designed to take advantage of touch screens while Windows 7 is only for desktops.

for higher resolutions you should get win7

Guide:
http://www.wikihow.com/Install-Windows-7-%28Beginners%29

REALIllusion

Honorable
Sep 24, 2013
Win7 all the way.
Reasons :

Windows 8 is faster than Windows 7 in some aspects such as startup time, shut down time, wake up from sleep, multimedia performance, web browsers performance, transferring large file and Microsoft excel performance but it is slower in 3D graphic performance and high resolution gaming performance. Battery life improved enough to be noticeable. Moreover Windows 8 is significantly more secure than Windows 7 and it is basically designed to take advantage of touch screens while Windows 7 is only for desktops.

for higher resolutions you should get win7

Guide:
http://www.wikihow.com/Install-Windows-7-%28Beginners%29

Solution

Bstanton

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013
My wife had the same issue, to fix it you have to go to the Nvidia control panel and change the default graphics option under 3d settings. For some reason it always thinks that it should use the intel whenever it's connected via HDMI. Just be aware that it will kill your battery quicker. I'd stick with Windows 8 for it, believe it or not it will run better haha.

boju

Distinguished
Under power management for Display, see if you have an option present for "do nothing" when closing the laptop lid, see if it the graphics switch then.

Some laptops have an air vent that needs the lid opened for air flow, so if you don't have this option, that is why.

boju

Distinguished
Check you don't have an air vent that might be covered with the lid closed because there's a chance installing Win7 will revert the software modifications made by the maker, making the 'close lid do nothing' option available in Win7.

You might'n have an air vent in that area so just be mindful.

efrommel

Estimable
Dec 29, 2014
I'm almost sure that the y50 have a vent there. So maybe that's why it change.

Maybe of I put a cooling pad and install Windows 7. I'm not sure what to do.

Anyone with a lenovo y50 running windows 7?

Also I have change the setting to only use the nvidia