Should I download and install programs on my User account or my Admin account?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddie K

Estimable
Jun 24, 2014
I have both an Admin and a User account, the user account which I primarily use for almost everything so I can keep my computer safer.

When I want to download programs should I log into my admin account then download and install there?
Or should I just stay on my user account and download, then use admin password, and then install while on my user?
Does it even matter?

I plan on doing a clean install of Win 10 and before I install a lot of my programs should I make a normal user account and install from there?
I ask this question because it seems that when you install a program in one account the full features don't seem to translate over into the other account...Sorry if I'm not making myself clear. It's hard to explain what I mean...

E.g I downloaded GEForce experience on Admin. Now while I'm on user, for some reason I cannot access it. Some error. I have to go back into my admin account and open it up from there.

Thank you

Solution
If malware infects an admin account it has access to everything. If it infects a user account, it can still happen but it's an additional hurdle for the malware to overcome. So there is good reason to do so.

I'd install on the user account. If you install from the admin account you may not have access to the programs while logged on as a user. You'd have to set permissions and change ownership, defeating the purpose of installing from admin in the first place.

bootcher

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013
Your user account has limited rights, so you are limiting yourself when using the computer from a user account. Some programs require admin access to work properly or to access their settings, such as geforce control panel.

If it is your own personal computer I wouldn't bother switching to user account, unless you only install all required programs once and don't need the admin account. If you do need the admin account on a regular basis then why bother using a user account.

I use two admin accounts ... one for everyday usage which includes installing, upgrading problems and network administration ... and the backup in case primary user gets fudged. But I have 6 users total, 4 of them being users who access one of the SSHDs remotely from their PCs and my son who uses this box for his flight sims ... all those have no admin rights.

TMTOWTSAC

Estimable
Jun 27, 2015
If malware infects an admin account it has access to everything. If it infects a user account, it can still happen but it's an additional hurdle for the malware to overcome. So there is good reason to do so.

I'd install on the user account. If you install from the admin account you may not have access to the programs while logged on as a user. You'd have to set permissions and change ownership, defeating the purpose of installing from admin in the first place.

Solution

dextermat

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
Hi, use admin account to install and configure.

Limited account are great to prevent drive by infections.

Unless you are the only one using the computer and always 100% sure of your internet activity, you could delete the limited account. Always good to have 2 admin accounts with password in case on becomes corrupted or infected.

Eddie K

Estimable
Jun 24, 2014

Thanks everyone for your answers. This seems to be most logical answer though

Status
Not open for further replies.