Should I get a mixer or an interface? Please help.

maniac07

Prominent
Feb 5, 2018
Hi,

I'm trying to get a device where I can plug in my mic, PS4, and PC audio and have it all come out through my headphones or speakers. I want to do this so I won't have to block out my PC audio if I play a PS4 game. I was thinking of getting a mixer, but I thought about all the cables and wires I would have to buy. I then thought of getting an audio interface, but I'm not sure if that would be viable. So, now I'm on here asking for help to make a decision. Thank you and have a nice day.

Cables will be ran thru both devices, if this what you want. But having the "mic" thrown will make the things harder - you'll need two separate audio paths, one going from PC/PS4 to the headphones, and another one going from the mike to PC/PS4.

Please try to clarify your usage scenario first.

maniac07

Prominent
Feb 5, 2018

So, what I want to do is plug audio from my pc and ps4 into an audio mixer along with my microphone and have my headphones plugged into that mixer. That way I can hear all the audio come through one line. If that makes sense. I don't want to wear a headset for my ps4 and earphones for my pc. That's an uncomfortable set up. In addition, I play my ps4 using one of my computer monitors, so no sound.

I have watched some youtube videos of people using audio mixers to do what I'm trying to do. In the videos, they used audio mixers, the Behringer, that had a usb port used that to connect it to the ps4.

I have also seen certain Twitch steamers use an audio interface, the Focusrite Scarlett, and a capture card, like an elgato, for their gaming system.

At this point, I can't tell which one would be the better solution.