Should I renew Kaspersky or switch to BitDefender or something else?

leftisthominid

Honorable
Jan 7, 2014
I have been using Kaspersky for a few years now, and I am wondering whether I should switch (yes, them being Russian is a factor for me)

I have like a week before my antivirus expires, so I want to make a decision ASAP.

My understanding is that BitDefender and Kaspersky are the top two. A few years ago, before I got Kaspersky, I tried BitDefender and it made my desktop take forever to start-up (relative to avast before that and Kaspersky afterwards). Is this issue still prevalent?

Solution

All depends on how much security and features you want and how much training you want to have your system do with more firewall protection. Anti virus level is going to be the same across all the products. Where it'll change is features and options on firewall, integrated VPNs, etc. That all comes...

azaran

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
I have BitDefender on all my systems and I like it. A few years ago I did a round of testing and found the same issue your talking about. Both Bitdefender and Kasperksy has a larger footprint than I liked. The current version however seems to have fixed that. I'm currently on my second year of subscription and am quite happy with them.

leftisthominid

Honorable
Jan 7, 2014

It's not a be all end all, but it is a factor to weigh with others. I also am looking for recommendations on what to switch to if I switch.

leftisthominid

Honorable
Jan 7, 2014

Which product tier do you recommend, Antivirus Plus, Internet Security, or Total Security?

azaran

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010

All depends on how much security and features you want and how much training you want to have your system do with more firewall protection. Anti virus level is going to be the same across all the products. Where it'll change is features and options on firewall, integrated VPNs, etc. That all comes down to what you need beyond basic virus protection and that's something only you can decide on. I personally went with Total Security for a multi computer pack and tailor each system to the specific needs and security levels I want.

Solution