Should I upgrade My Dell Studio 1555 laptop (2009/10) or buy a new one?

davidoliver

Honorable
Oct 11, 2013
Im looking at upgrading my studio 1555 from 4 gig ram to 8 gig-180 bucks! and the cpu to core 2 duo from a dual core-40 bucks. my OS is Windows 7 64bit. I use on board graphics.

Would i see a significant difference in speed etc. or should i be looking at replacing it with a new laptop? Is it worth it?

My wife uses it for microsoft office, emailing/vpn, dvds, internet surfing some kids games yet it seems so slow loading up and at times within the programs or opening programs them selves. I've done everything i can do to maximize its speed/potential...malware/adware scanning, virus scanning, bios/os tweaking/updating, etc. just seems to get to a point but no faster. Thanks.

cs_toms

Honorable
Dec 6, 2013
Hi, I have a Dell 1555 with 4GB ram and Core 2 Duo. I can assure you that it will zip effortlessly all the activities you have mentioned.

For the uses you have mentioned, IMO, even the Dual Core should do fine. But since you're facing issues and it's only 40 bucks - upgrade the processor. Don't bother with the RAM. 4 GB is quite sufficient.

Before you do that, I strongly recommend you reinstall windows.

PinchedNerve

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013
You'll get more perceived "speed" from the extra RAM then the CPU. 4 gig RAM is the minimum requirement for Win 7 x64 if I remember correctly. Personally I would reformat the Dell and sell it for about $100.00 to $200.00 and upgrade to a new LT because you can find LT's in the $400.00 to $500.00 range that should be a significant upgrade to your aging Dell.