Question (HELP) Should I change my SSD card or buy a new computer?

Apr 19, 2022
Hi! I'm new here and I kinda need some help since I can't decide for myself.

I have been having a problem with my computer. Apparently, I need to send my HDD disk is on life support, and changing it will cost me 154$ to that my battery is at 30% of its life and it'll cost me 130$ to fix it (but it is not an urgent matter).

My computer is a refurbished one. And cost me around 900$.

It's an HP laptop 15. Here are the specs.

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8250U CPU @ 1.60GHz 1.80 GHz
Installed RAM 8.00 GB

I bought it in October 2019.

I am not so much of a computer person so I don't know the specs that much but I can look it up if needed.

I have a budget of 2000 $ (though I would love to not go up to 1500$).

I am in my second year of engineering and I do digital painting with my graphic tablet. I do some gaming but not that intensely.

So what do you think? Should I upgrade my computer or buy a new one?

If you are happy with your current machine screen and keyboard, there is no real reason to upgrade. However, you may want to run the Win 11 compatibility checker to make sure Win 11 will work (I'm sticking with Win 10 and Win 11 is not ready for serious use yet, in my opinion) , I suspect your machine is new enough to be OK.

You will find a tremendous improvement in speed with the SSD. The battery likely needs to be replaced since, as a student, you likely use it disconnected quite often.

8GB of memory should be fine although it depends on your digital painting program demands and how much stuff you like to open at once. You can go to Crutial.com to see if RAM can be expanded, if that is a concern.

Apr 19, 2022
If you are happy with your current machine screen and keyboard, there is no real reason to upgrade. However, you may want to run the Win 11 compatibility checker to make sure Win 11 will work (I'm sticking with Win 10 and Win 11 is not ready for serious use yet, in my opinion) , I suspect your machine is new enough to be OK.

You will find a tremendous improvement in speed with the SSD. The battery likely needs to be replaced since, as a student, you likely use it disconnected quite often.

8GB of memory should be fine although it depends on your digital painting program demands and how much stuff you like to open at once. You can go to Crutial.com to see if RAM can be expanded, if that is a concern.

Thanks for the reply!

To be fair I bought this computer with the plan of changing it. But so far it was useful even though it had some drawbacks. I just prefer to use my money efficiently rather than going with whatever I want at the moment.

I bought this in my home country and as I mention it's a refurbished product so I don't quite know how old it is and how long it has been on the market before I bought it.

I also use Win11 Home and I run Photoshop mainly.